FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the FN family...

Yesterday, I purchased my first FN, a 509 midsize and had a question about this ding on the rear of the slide by the plate. Besides being cosmetic, this shouldn't be an issue long term with developing a crack or anything correct? I'm just curious... as it appears to have goten dinged during the build process.

Thanks

Automotive tire Automotive mirror Grey Material property Automotive lighting

Hand tool Bicycle part Tool Metalworking Wrench

Automotive tire Hood Tire Fender Wood

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Lester,
Thanks for the reply and welcome! The ding doesn't bother me at all and it's not worth the hassle to try and replace the slide. I was just curious if it could develop a crack at some point in the future. In that last photo, there is what appears to be a small pinhole. Appreciate the quick reply!

·
Premium Member
18,045 Posts
I was just curious if it could develop a crack at some point in the future. In that last photo, there is what appears to be a small pinhole.
If it does the pistol is covered under warranty
You can always send FN the pictures they would probably want it back. if it was mine I wouldn’t bother I don’t really see where it’s located it would ever cause a issue

·
Premium Member
8,913 Posts
Ahh man, that's awful and will totally upset the slide's balance. It will always shoot to the right now, you need to quickly and discreetly discard that slide and never mention it again.

Oh course there's reality and like @LESTER said, purely cosmetic. Shoot it, enjoy it and welcome to the 509 club and the forum.

·
Registered
936 Posts
If it were on the barrel hood or at the barrel bushing area I would be concerned but since it's an internal striker gun I don't believe that area is an issue.

That said, each time you raise the pistol you might see and think about it, getting distracted.

Don't be bashful writing support. I'd give it a shot. I don't think the factory is fitting slides to frames so if they happen to give you a drop-in replacement, no harm to ask.

Reactions: Ely010606
1 - 8 of 8 Posts