FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
There's not really much that comes in the box when you buy a new SCAR. (Thanks FN). One magazine, instruction manual, and cable. That's defintely not worth much. Magazines are pretty easy to find now.
True but it's always easier to sell should that day ever come with the original box and goodies.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just ordered a NIB 17S in FDE For $2569 +$30 freight, so I can't imagine paying $2500 for a used one (unless it came with mags/accessories).

·
Registered
36 Posts
$2535 is easy enough to find shipped with no taxes for new in box. I really think 2300 for a used rifle that looks new is the height of the value on these. It seems the market has gone down and those who got in at $3K will only see their investment paid off by the enjoyment it has brought them while us suckers waited around.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As others have said. Right over the 2k mark is good for a lnib. If you can't find one in that range save for a bit longer and pay the 2600ish for a new one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I shopped and shopped and shopped, the thing is with a used one, unless you know the people, you never know what kind of use it had. I ended up just hemming and hawing over a hundred bucks or so here or there and just buying a new one a couple days ago, online. Found a decent deal under $2500 new, so I just committed and bought it. Should be in my hands next week.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just paid $2535 (total) delivered on Gunbroker. I shopped around as well, and that's about as good as it comes for a new gun plus or minus a few bucks.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I bought my Black Scar 17 in August 2014 and have put just a few hundred brass shells (no steel) through it, Winchester and ZRI.

I think I paid around $2,650 total new from Tombstone Tactical to in my hands, which was a decent price back then.

I wouldn't take a penny less than $3k for today with it configured exactly the way it came out of the box from FN because I would have to replace it with another Scar 17 if I sold it and use the extra money from prices having dropped on new ones to buy some more ammo...

I suspect the high asking prices for used Scar 17's is partly because some people need some immediate cash for other things, but ultimately plan to own a Scar 17 again someday when their finances improve. So they are not really thinking about it as selling their Scar 17, rather they are seeing it as if they are pawning it for a while or using it as collateral for a loan.

If they were unhappy with it and were ditching it because it was a P.O.S., they would not have such a high asking price because it would have less value to them.

Reactions: Scarhead

·
Registered
40 Posts
mityno1, you are exactly right regarding resale values of our Scar's. While searching to buy a Scar 17 recently, my first thought was to buy a nice used one that someone had taken care of. Well, right now there are people asking more money for a used rifle than new a one costs! I think this reflects the price that many paid for their rifles "Post Newtown" (read; Liberal Crazy's invading our world) . Now that things have settled down and life is getting back to normal, there are people that are being realistic about selling, who are actually moving their rifles, and those who are trying to wrap their minds around the fact that they "bought in" at the wrong time in history. They aren't selling, and I see them relisting their rifles week after week on Gunbroker until reality finally sinks in and they drop their price.
Overall, these rifles hold their value very well. I ended up buying a new one as there was only a one or two hundred dollar difference.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Well, right now there are people asking more money for a used rifle than new a one costs!
Yeah, that is pretty crazy. But it seems that some people still think these are going for 2900 or so. Many on gunbroker were around 2600 with reserves not met. I think all in all I ended up paying about 2580 shipped for mine. I was going to wait for the Stryker version but life without a scar is just too rough. :x

1 - 20 of 52 Posts