FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The search function does not seem to be working, and from browsing all I saw was one locked thread on the topic of comparing 5.56 to 5.7. In the thread, there's a post about it being against the rules to discuss ballistics. I understand that such discussions often lead to personal preference debates, though I still think it a bit odd to not allow discussion on such an important aspect of a firearm.

In any case, my question is about why FN chose the 5.7, not about why they didn't choose x or y instead. Can anyone provide insight regarding the development of the round?

From what I have read, it is designed to pierce armor and have a low recoil. What were the other criteria during development that they set for the bullet choice?

Thank you to anyone who can share knowledge on this.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I personally did not lock that thread down, nor would I have. But there are 2 members of us on the team. So, what can I say...

Strange, though - the search function works for me. I just tried it.

As for comparisons in the rounds - there is a thread comparing the round to a 9mm round I believe. But honestly - I do not remember any other threads comparing the 5-7 to 5.56/223.

Feel free to start any as long as it's not one of those "hater" threads U see on other forums where all they do is talk neg about the round. I feel it is a valid topic, though.

We should have more reasonable ballistic threads...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts