FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 25 years ago, I picked up a Century L1A1 thumbhole sporter. I planned on doing something with it, someday. Well, a whole hell of a lot of somedays came and went and...nothing. It moved from the back of the "A" safe to the back of the "B" safe. That was about it.

But I vowed back in January that the time had come. So I packed it up, and shipped it off to T. Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems. Normally I like to do work myself, but I'm not going to lie...outside of operation, I don't know dick about the FAL and its direct kin. But one thing I do know is when to let a pro take the wheel.

Well it came home today, and it is just f'ing awesome. I'm going to attach the obligatory pics, but they do not do justice to the work that was done.

First...what I sent off:

Now, what came home (British configuration):

I can't wait to get to the range. I have to order a new case, as the longest one I have is too short.

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a pic supplied by ARS:

Here's a nice rundown of the work that was done:

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NICE! ARS does top notch work. Mark is basically the guru when it comes to FALs.
It really is a shame I can't take better pictures. Besides the de-neutering, it was also refinished. It is one the nicest finishes I've seen. I've bought home big $$$ guns (well big $$$, for me) that didn't have as nearly as nice of a finish.

·
Registered
479 Posts
About 25 years ago, I picked up a Century L1A1 thumbhole sporter. I planned on doing something with it, someday. Well, a whole hell of a lot of somedays came and went and...nothing. It moved from the back of the "A" safe to the back of the "B" safe. That was about it.

But I vowed back in January that the time had come. So I packed it up, and shipped it off to T. Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems. Normally I like to do work myself, but I'm not going to lie...outside of operation, I don't know dick about the FAL and its direct kin. But one thing I do know is when to let a pro take the wheel.

Well it came home today, and it is just f'ing awesome. I'm going to attach the obligatory pics, but they do not do justice to the work that was done.

First...what I sent off:

View attachment 143388
View attachment 143389

Now, what came home (British configuration):
View attachment 143390
View attachment 143391

I can't wait to get to the range. I have to order a new case, as the longest one I have is too short.
Congrats! Awesome looking FAL!

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it looks awesome from the pics, is the handle on the top gone?
Thanks, man. It exceeded my expectations by about ten-fold.
The carry handle is still there, just folded down. I had it up in the before pics because it wouldn't lay flat on the tile for a pic.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Never was a big FAL fan, Uncle Sam required operational knowledge but that's a nice rifle S. Happy to see all that AWB/BS removed!

Reactions: akitainu

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a nice looking rifle alright. Let us know how it shoots too.
Thanks! Can't wait to get it to the range, myself. I ordered a new case yesterday to get it there and back...Damn thing is too long for anything I have.
Happy to see all that AWB/BS removed!
You and me both, man. I always felt bad for the poor, neutered bastard. It was kind of like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree...rifle version.

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad you sent it to Mark, nobody better or more knowledgeable in the business.
It was stellar work, indeed. The guy definitely knows his sh*t.

It's funny, when I joined this forum, one of my very first posts was inquiring into the cost, process and feasibility of restoration. Of course, it turned into dick waving match like everything else on the interwebs devolves into. I got an offer to buy it shortly after that...I'm glad I didn't take it.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
That's a damn fine example you have there now! That thumbhole was a travesty. I'd be happy as hell to own that.

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reactions: Fatboyi

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
If you are in need of any metric mags PM me. Thanks
I appreciate the offer, but I've managed to squirrel away quite a few over the years. The '94 AWB made me a chronic mag hoarder.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Nice work! What a transformation! I'm in a similar situation. I have a beautiful, refinished, all Enfield L1A1 kit I bought about 7 years ago, and I can't get a correct receiver for it. DSA doesn't seem interested in making another batch of Brit L1A1 receivers, so I was thinking of using an old Imbel NGL that I've had laying around for years. Just can't seem to get the unction up to send it off to Mark to get it properly cut.

Glad to see yours turned out beautiful! That encourages me to finish mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So happy with Mark's work on my metric FAL. Guru is right, and the cost to quality ratio cannot be beat. So many builders are more expensive and for lesser result. You won't be disappointed with ARS.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts