FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DENVER (AP) — Gun-rights activists in Colorado turned in petition signatures Monday to set up the first recall in state history of a state lawmaker after he backed some of the strictest gun control measures to become law in the U.S. this year.
The opponents of Democratic Senate President John Morse said they turned in twice as many signatures as needed Monday to put Morse back on the ballot. Carting white paper boxes of petitions, the gun-rights advocates said Morse will pay for backing a series of gun control measures that were signed into law earlier this year.
"This shot will be heard around the world," said Bill Adaska, a retired engineer from Denver who volunteered to gather recall signatures in Morse's Colorado Springs district. "This is the race, right here, that's going to show Washington and Chicago that when you come after our guns, we're going to take you out."
Adaska is referring to a gun-control package that made Colorado the first state outside the East Coast to significantly ratchet back gun rights after last year's mass shootings in Aurora, Colo., and Newtown, Mass. The Colorado package included expanded background checks to include private and online gun sales, plus a 15-round limit on most types of ammunition magazines.
Morse backed the gun control measures, and sponsored an even stricter measure to gun owners liable in some cases for damage caused by their weapons. Morse scuttled that liability measure when it appeared it didn't have enough support to clear the Senate.
Morse did not immediately return a call for comment Monday. He has said several times that national gun groups have targeted him in an effort to scare politicians nationwide away from addressing gun control.
The National Rifle Association sent a political mailer in support of the Morse recall effort. However, recall supporters insisted the effort was home-grown and conducted without national support. They hired petition gatherers, and local gun shops contributed firearms and ammunition to reward people who volunteered gathering petition signatures.
"I ran this campaign. The NRA did not run this campaign," said Rob Harris, organizer of the recall effort. "We the people are making a stand against the people who refused to represent their constituents."
Morse, a former police chief, is term limited and has one year left in office. If Republicans pick up his seat, Democrats would still control the Senate, in addition to the House and the governor's office.
The Colorado Secretary of State has 15 business days to verify signatures. After that, Morse has a period of time to challenge signatures before a recall election is set. The latest possible date for a Morse recall vote would be early October.
No state lawmaker in Colorado history has ever faced a recall vote.
Gun-rights activists are still working to recall another Democrat, Sen. Angela Giron of Pueblo. Signatures in that effort aren't due until next week.
Recall efforts against two other Democratic lawmakers who backed gun control have already fizzled for lack of support.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I am going to open a bottle of champagne when this idiot is kicked out of office. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

It is especially sweet that they gathered more signatures against him than there were votes for him in his last election.

Maybe we should all send him a message to wish him an enjoyable retirement?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Somewhat anecdotal - but I was in the Springs this past weekend. About four or five people at an intersection with pro-Recall signs. One person a little further away with A Whole Lot of People for John Morse sign. I guess A whole Lot of People want Morse gone is more like it.

Unfortunately, recalls such as this are usually ineffective. Let's hope and work towards making this one a reality. More recall votes (unverified) then he got to be elected.

Colorado Springs ahead - Next Right (like they would be on the left of anything).

Reactions: P-Factor

·
Premium Member
9,516 Posts
Best of luck on this endeavor, as a message it could be quite powerful. As an aside, four years ago, my wife was given the choice of places to transfer to. We toyed with Colorado Springs, but chose San Antonio as I grew up in Texas and have family here. That decision may have been one of the best I've ever made, in hindsight. Keep up the good fight, Colorado.

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
I am going to open a bottle of champagne when this idiot is kicked out of office. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

It is especially sweet that they gathered more signatures against him than there were votes for him in his last election.

Maybe we should all send him a message to wish him an enjoyable retirement?
Replace "enjoyable" with miserable, and I'm on board.

-SS

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Amazing that huffpo can muster a balanced article on gun control.. Too bad there are so many uninformed people in the comments.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Update on John Morse recall. Seems now he's going to again defy the constitution.

Another Victory... but we need your help now to remove John Morse from office!

Yesterday, the Secretary of State's office rejected Senator John Morse's argument that more than 10,000 citizens' signatures should be thrown out. The validity of our effort was found to be legal and Constitutional, and we were cleared to move forward with Colorado's first-ever Recall election.

However, immediately following the announcement, the Morse camp implied that they will sue for an injunction with the same intent of grinding us down with legal costs until we literally cannot afford to fight back. Rather than let the recall proceed and allow the voice of Colorado to be heard in an undeniable, public venue, Morse and his party will continue to drag us into court over minutiae, playing legal games and delaying justice for the people of his own district as long as legally possible. Not satisfied with simply ignoring his constituency, he is now bent on maliciously silencing them entirely.

Against all odds, we delivered more than enough signatures to force a recall - a nearly impossible feat, to be sure, and something that no one has ever done in 137 years. But without financial support, we cannot carry this much further. We will continue to fight these challenges as long as we can but we are average citizens with limited - and now nearly exhausted - resources.

Now we need your help.

We cannot continue to do this without your active participation in paying for the legal defense against Senator Morse's attacks. We are asking you to help us support the burden of our freedoms, to show that the consent of the governed is not optional and to prove that average citizens do have the ability to hold politicians accountable for their actions.

Please answer this call to arms. Please go to our website and donate whatever you can today.

With Sincerest Thanks,
-The Basic Freedom Defense Fund

--

To donate to BFDF go here.

Or alternatively you can go to our website, www.bfdf.org and click on "Donations" in the upper right hand corner.

Basic Freedom Defense Fund, 10 Town Plaza #405, Durango, CO.
www.bfdf.org

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Yeah got the same email, and I promptly donated some more to this group for potential legal fees to defeat this scumbag.

Funny that since he can't win by having enough supporters, he will try to win by sucking BFDF dry in court with Bloomberg money backing him.

This alone should show the country that these people are not really "Democrats". In fact, why is this news not on TV across the country?

Update on John Morse recall. Seems now he's going to again defy the constitution.
To donate to BFDF go here.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
John Morse, Bloomie, and all his Commie pals HARD at work......

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Do you guys make house calls to Connecticut ?
Every one of our legislators need to be recalled

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wish all the pro 2nd Amendment people from California, New York, etc. would move here and help us take back our state. I hate to admit it but CA, NY and many other states are lost. Come to Gualts Gulch and make a stand with us.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Morse, a former police chief, is term limited and has one year left in office.
I guess I missed this part the first time I read this post. While I like the message being sent by the people of Colorado, there is no way in hell this election will ever happen before his term is up. He can easily drag this out in court that long and it is probably a waist of resources to continue to fight it. I hope I am wrong. Maybe there is something in Colorado state law where a judge can stop all his delaying tactics and set a date for the recall vote, but that would surprise me. At least it will make others with longer terms ahead of them stop and think about the consequences of their actions and how unpopular they are to the voters of the state.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Bloomberg is gonna throw all they have in to this market. If we can show that the first recall (gun related) gets them thrown out of office they know it is over. It would be probably one of the biggest 2A statements ever made.

Reactions: Ironminer
1 - 20 of 24 Posts