FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, pretty new to guns in general and all and any feedback is greatly appreciated. I currently own a P365XL I've taken it to the range and the grip is pretty small, I would say I have medium to Large hands. Every time i discharged the p365 I Felt like it was going to jump out of my hands, (maybe I am Holding it the wrong way). I looked into recoil and one way to mitigate is to get a "full size" Handgun. I've gone back to the range and I rented a Smith and Wesson in 45 and that thing felt snappy as well. Right after the 45 I Rented the Walther PDP, and boy was it night and day, the recoil was super soft. The only thing is I didn't like the grip on the Walther, the beavertail ate into my thumb. I was super sore after about 200 rounds.
I would like to hear your input as far as recoil goes on the FNX 45 as it is $1,299. I would love to shoot one before buy it to let myself know exactly how it handles but unfortunately that is not likely to happen.
Since it looks like some of you guys already own one I'd like to hear how it handles, is it as soft as a full size 9mm? or will it be just as snappy as the P365XL ?
TIA

· Registered
1,061 Posts
I will start off by saying that I have not shot a S&W full size 45, and my Sig 365 is the original (not XL). I do have multiple full size and compact 9mm pistols and both a compact and full size 45. In general there is always going to be more felt recoil with 45 as the projectile is just about 2x the weight of the 9mm projectile. For me, the larger and heavier the pistol, the less "snappy" is feels. I can shoot the same ammo out of my Shield 45 and my FNX45, and the FNX is much more comfortable even for someone with hands on the smaller size of medium. Anymore than 3-4 magazines out of the Shield 45, and I am good. Bought it to carry in states where there is a magazine size restriction because I would rather have 8 rounds of 45 than 10 rounds of 9mm. I practice with it a few times a year, but is never the gun I take to the range just for a fun range session. The FNX45 witha laser/light and a suppressor is not something I can carry, so it is more of just a fun day at the range gun. Is also handy for a home defense situation. Even stripped down, carrying a FNX45 is not the easiest thing to do in a state that does not have open carry. Of the 45's that I have shot, the combination of a thick grip (from the double stack magazine) and the general feel/size of the gun, the FNX45 is one of the nicest shooting 45's that I have tried. I have shot seveal 1911's from different manufacturers, and to me they all feel like the grip is too thin from side to side.

As for 9mm, I have always felt more stable with my full size Sig320 than I do with my 365. Genreally the larger the frame of the gun (as long as it is not too large for your hands), the better the percieved recoil is. Some manufacturers try to get the bore of the barrel lower into the frame, which also helps with recoil and muzzle flip, but most of the larger makers are fairly close on this measurement.

I can not give advise on your grip, but maybe look into a local "intro to handguns" type course. Would be easier to do now than it will be to change bad habits after years of doing it.

· Registered
23 Posts
I will start off by saying that I have not shot a S&W full size 45, and my Sig 365 is the original (not XL). I do have multiple full size and compact 9mm pistols and both a compact and full size 45. In general there is always going to be more felt recoil with 45 as the projectile is just about 2x the weight of the 9mm projectile. For me, the larger and heavier the pistol, the less "snappy" is feels. I can shoot the same ammo out of my Shield 45 and my FNX45, and the FNX is much more comfortable even for someone with hands on the smaller size of medium. Anymore than 3-4 magazines out of the Shield 45, and I am good. Bought it to carry in states where there is a magazine size restriction because I would rather have 8 rounds of 45 than 10 rounds of 9mm. I practice with it a few times a year, but is never the gun I take to the range just for a fun range session. The FNX45 witha laser/light and a suppressor is not something I can carry, so it is more of just a fun day at the range gun. Is also handy for a home defense situation. Even stripped down, carrying a FNX45 is not the easiest thing to do in a state that does not have open carry. Of the 45's that I have shot, the combination of a thick grip (from the double stack magazine) and the general feel/size of the gun, the FNX45 is one of the nicest shooting 45's that I have tried. I have shot seveal 1911's from different manufacturers, and to me they all feel like the grip is too thin from side to side.

As for 9mm, I have always felt more stable with my full size Sig320 than I do with my 365. Genreally the larger the frame of the gun (as long as it is not too large for your hands), the better the percieved recoil is. Some manufacturers try to get the bore of the barrel lower into the frame, which also helps with recoil and muzzle flip, but most of the larger makers are fairly close on this measurement.

I can not give advise on your grip, but maybe look into a local "intro to handguns" type course. Would be easier to do now than it will be to change bad habits after years of doing it.

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Yes, it's what you want dude.

My FNX45 in 460 Rowland kicks less than my (more expensive) steel frame 10mm 1911. In original config it's easy to handle. It has, for me ("medium" Rink grip size), an ideal 2x4 type grip on the frame. Extremely easy to hold tight and get right every time. 9mm polys batter my arthritic wrists but FNX is no biggie. Great gun, especially for a combat gun.

· Registered
23 Posts
FNX-45 Tactical shoots sweet. It is way easier to operate than my 365XL with +P ammo, with medium size hands.

I am loading 45 Super in my FNX-45 and use this recoil spring by DPM Systems. You can find it here: FN Herstal FNX-45 Tactical Recoil Reduction Spring Rod DPM Systems

Also EFK threaded barrel with a Lone Wolf compensator / muzzle brake. Shoots great with Kevin Underwood's Ammo .45 Super 230gr.

Great home defender...tad large for everyday carry, but it can be done with the right / proper fit holster.

· Registered
23 Posts

My FNX45 in 460 Rowland kicks less than my (more expensive) steel frame 10mm 1911. In original config it's easy to handle. It has, for me ("medium" Rink grip size), an ideal 2x4 type grip on the frame. Extremely easy to hold tight and get right every time. 9mm polys batter my arthritic wrists but FNX is no biggie. Great gun, especially for a combat gun.

Which barrel and recoil spring are you using for 460 Rowland on your FNX 45?

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Which barrel and recoil spring are you using for 460 Rowland on your FNX 45?
The company and site with the 460 Rowland brand. I actually bought mine complete from them, where they polish the beech, install very stiff mag springs, ream the barrel chamber, mount the compensator of course (2 set screws after threading) and provide a new recoil spring assembly. Another friend of mine sent his to them for the work. Both of ours are great. The Johnny (Rowland's) Load ammo they sell on their site by the way is significantly more stout than Underwood and what I've been brave enough to load on my own. Fully flat primers and deep firing pin melts

· Registered
23 Posts
The company and site with the 460 Rowland brand. I actually bought mine complete from them, where they polish the beech, install very stiff mag springs, ream the barrel chamber, mount the compensator of course (2 set screws after threading) and provide a new recoil spring assembly. Another friend of mine sent his to them for the work. Both of ours are great. The Johnny (Rowland's) Load ammo they sell on their site by the way is significantly more stout than Underwood and what I've been brave enough to load on my own. Fully flat primers and deep firing pin melts
10-4 Thanks. Had a Springfield XDM 5.25" 45 ACP Rowland kit from them, and it never shot correctly. They sent a different compensator, still no joy. Gave up on it. I have a bunch of GA Arms 460 Rowland 230 and 185gr GD HP sealed in the pack if you know anyone who needs it.

· Registered
11 Posts
I have the non tactical version, it shoots fine and easily manageable recoil. I don't care for any of those micro pistols, too much snap. If you are looking for soft recoil think CZ Shadow 2 or the like.

· Registered
126 Posts
To the OP/DS, the FNX45 is an outstanding DA/SA .45ACP w/ a polymer frame. I say that based off of my personal experience shooting my FNX45T along with my HK USP45T and HK45T quite often. Nowhere near as "snappy" or feeling like it'll jump out of my hands as some of the smaller & lighter 9mm's I have. (Fact, the only 9mm's I have that are more "tame" than my FNX45T are my Walther Q4SF and Springfield Armory 1911 Emissary)

Compared to my 1911's in .45ACP and 10mm, my FNX45T creates a similar "push" when shooting 230 FMJs & JHPs. The recoil is better than my HKs and Sigs with similar ammo, and is my primary HD .45ACP kitted with a red dot and light. As others have posted, I don't think you can do wrong with any flavor of an FNX45. Just get it and be done with it...

· Registered
7 Posts
I have been an advocate of the .45 ACP since I first shot one in the Army in 1962(yeah I'm an old guy). What we are really talking about here is simple physics. Of course the simple physics is somewhat modified by grip shape, size and so forth. The FNX 45 is one of the easiest .45s I have ever fired in terms of recoil and general controllability. The grip just fit my medium size hand so as to make it so. Packing an FNX .45 as an EDC CCW is possible, but requires some forethought about clothing and other factors. I have several .45 ACPs, including the latest S&W iteration (M&P) 10 shot. It is a little snappier than the FNX, but I suspect that if you stick with it you will master the S&W sufficiently to be able to depend on it for defense. Remember that most SD encounters happen at very close range and require a rapid response. If you are far enough away to take your time, you should probably bot be shooting in SD. Also please remember that if you have time to present your weapon, you have time to use both hands on the weapon, all other factors being equal(which sometimes they are definitely not!).
I know this is a semi auto forum, but with the .45 ACP, revolvers are a very valid option. There are the venerable S&W N frames and more and more 5 shot revolvers that conceal rather well.
I have spent over a half century in LE and the military (ours), I have used the .45 ACP (and the 9mm) defensively and offensively, and will take a .45 ACP every time. Particularly if one is restricted to FMJ ammo(as most military applications are). Even when HP or expanding ammo is available and legal, a .45 never gets smaller. The .45 ACP is particularly good at the one shot stop with a pelvic cradle hit. I have never seen anyone shot with a round that cracks or even just hits the pelvic cradle continue hostile activities. As for the "super" .45s available, it is my opinion that they are simply not needed for personal defense-unless you are defending against a bear or like animal predator-and if you are, a heavy .45 Colt or .44 load might be more appropriate.

· Registered
76 Posts
Hey guys, pretty new to guns in general and all and any feedback is greatly appreciated. I currently own a P365XL I've taken it to the range and the grip is pretty small, I would say I have medium to Large hands. Every time i discharged the p365 I Felt like it was going to jump out of my hands, (maybe I am Holding it the wrong way). I looked into recoil and one way to mitigate is to get a "full size" Handgun. I've gone back to the range and I rented a Smith and Wesson in 45 and that thing felt snappy as well. Right after the 45 I Rented the Walther PDP, and boy was it night and day, the recoil was super soft. The only thing is I didn't like the grip on the Walther, the beavertail ate into my thumb. I was super sore after about 200 rounds.
I would like to hear your input as far as recoil goes on the FNX 45 as it is $1,299. I would love to shoot one before buy it to let myself know exactly how it handles but unfortunately that is not likely to happen.
Since it looks like some of you guys already own one I'd like to hear how it handles, is it as soft as a full size 9mm? or will it be just as snappy as the P365XL ?
TIA
I had the Sig 365xl was nice but it wasn't a 45 sold it and got a used Colt 1911 Defender Lightweight but being as small as it is the recoil isn't bad I added a set of Hogue grips and trijicon hd night sights. A year ago I picked up a FN FNX-45 Tactical and it's easy to shoot and c it has a great trigger. Welcome aboard from NC

· Registered
87 Posts

Nice to see another .460 FNX out there! Most of the time when I mention mine people don't know what the heck I'm talking about. Although it packs a hell of a wallop still very forgiving, a lot softer shooting in my 44 Mag! Not to mention that 15 + 1 capacity. Although it took me almost two months to get that mag to hold fifteen again after the Rowland Springs.

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Nice to see another .460 FNX out there! Most of the time when I mention mine people don't know what the heck I'm talking about. Although it packs a hell of a wallop still very forgiving, a lot softer shooting in my 44 Mag! Not to mention that 15 + 1 capacity. Although it took me almost two months to get that mag to hold fifteen again after the Rowland Springs.
I haven't tried more than 10 cartridges in my Rowland mags! Springs are so tight the cases get dimpled during loading.

· Banned
71 Posts
I'll just add my $0.02. The FNX45T has some recoil. But honestly it is a lot less than I expected. I was thikning this would be like fireing a hand cannnon. But not at all. It fires the classic .45 ACP cartridge, which is pretty chonky--especially compared to 9mm, but the recoil really isn't much different from my sig 226 9mm.

· Banned
71 Posts
What the what? There's a .45 to .460 conversion out there? Damn!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.