FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a FNP 45 Tactical with a compensator on it. (I have attached some photos of gun with compensator). The gun shoots great but due to compensator it will stove pipe regularly. If I remove compensator it shoots just fine with no ejection issues. I have done some looking and I am unable to find a weaker recoil spring to replace the stock one. If anyone knows of a good place to purchase a recoil spring I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

DSC00205.JPG DSC00208.JPG DSC00204.JPG

·
Registered
980 Posts
If FNH customer service can't offer you a replacement spring that is less powerful....

Keep the old spring, but buy a replacement spring. Keeping the slide locked back on the new (standard) replacement spring for a long period will degrade it some -- and that may be enough.

If not, cut off a coil and try again, repeat until it works. Removing one coil at a time on the spring in a captured assembly may be easier said than done -- but good snips will help.

(Cutting down springs generally isn't a good practice, but when you have no options and the only spring available is too powerful...)

If you have a friend with a Glock, you might check to see if that spring is the right length. Wolff offers "captured" Glock springs in different weights, and one of them might work for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you WaltSherrill, I have thought of cutting spring but will do it as a last resort. Will look into a captured glock spring and see if it is close to same length. Thanks again for your help

·
Registered
980 Posts
What is the physical (size) difference between the .45 guide rod assembly and the .40 or 9mm? If they're similar sizes, they may be your alternative choices. Are those specs available anywhere?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have tried to find out if there is a replacement spring assembly from another manufacture (aftermarket or gun man. such as glock) that will fit the FNP but have not found anyone who is willing to say it would fit or not.

·
Registered
980 Posts
If you have a dealer nearby who sells FN guns, take your FNP-45 Tactical recoil spring assembly to the shop and ask them to let you compare yours to the guide rod in an FNS40 or FNS9. You just want to look at them -- nothing else.

I just field-stripped my Glock 38 (.45 GAP) and FNS-40. The Glock 38 uses the same recoil assembly as the Glock 19 (9mm), 23 (40), and 32 (.357 SIG), and that guide rod assembly is a physical match for the FNS-40 assembly! (Glock apparently uses the same spring in all of those models, and makes the slide a bit heavier/bigger to help control slide velocity with the hotter rounds.)

The FNS and Glock recoil spring assemblies look like they're made by the same company, except that one (GLOCK) is plastic and one is metal. Both have a little dimple on one end. Wolff also offers a metal stand-alone guide rod for Glocks that can be used without modifying the Glock to let you use different weight springs.

I found that my Glock 38 and FNS-40 guide rods could be swapped -- and while I didn't try live fire, they seem to function fine in either weapon: you could reassemble the guns, rack the slide, reset the trigger, with the other gun's recoil spring assembly installed. Wolff makes captured spring assemblies with 14-24 pound rates for those model Glocks, and others for different size weapons. ($7.95 plus shipping).

If your FNP-45 Tactical recoil spring assembly matches the FNS-9 or FNS-40, you might be able to use a Glock guide rod assembly. As best I can tell, other FNP and FNS barrels are interchangeable, but I don't know about the "Tactical" model. If not, some of the recoil spring assemblies for other Glock models may work -- you just have to compare them.

Wolff has both captured and non-captured (i.e., separate guide rods and individual springs) assemblies for Glocks, and these non-captured units might work in the FNP or FNS guns, too. Wolff seems to offer fewer spring weights for the separate spring/rod units, but you might be able to play around with that, too. The other option is hotter ammo. :)

https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php?page=items&cID=1&mID=5&dID=116#121

·
Registered
35 Posts
A few years back, it was found that the recoil spring and guide rod from a glock fit the fnp45. A modification was needed to drill out the dimple on the back of the guide rod. There use to be a thread about it.

·
Registered
980 Posts
On my Glock guide rod assembly, the dimple is on the front end, and that's exactly like the guide rod assembly for my FNS-40. I wonder if the .45 is different? On those two guide rods units, you really can't tell them apart, except for color (the plastic is all black, while the metal version has silver metal showing on the front and rear of the rods), and even the dimple looks the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts