FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what would you Reloaders recomend if I wanted to get into reloading?

.9mm

These would be the Cal. to start with but then I would like to get into the 5.7.

Thanks

·
Registered
636 Posts
Take your Pick 9mm .40cal 45 acp are all good rounds to start reloading with anyone of them would be fine.... There is mountians of load data for all of them and the cases are easy to work with....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which units would be good to start with and be able to grow into. Would like to stay under $1000.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Kendal said:

.9mm

These would be the Cal. to start with but then I would like to get into the 5.7.

Thanks
Any straight wall pistol caliber is a good place to start. Do yourself a favor and (save money in the long run), just buy a Dillon machine. Either a 550 or a 650. Yoy won't be dissapointed. :)

·
Registered
636 Posts
mk23 said:
Kendal said:

.9mm

Thanks

I have to agree I know i stated differently else where but you just cant go wrong with a dillon It is bit harder to learn how to use a progressive but for the CASH factor Cant beat it ...

http://dillonprecision.com/default.cfm?
Any straight wall pistol caliber is a good place to start. Do yourself a favor and (save money in the long run), just buy a Dillon machine. Either a 550 or a 650. Yoy won't be dissapointed. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
+1 on the Dillon... I have a 650, and my only regret is that I didn't get the SUPER 1050 their commercial grade machine. I would suggest that you also get a cheap simple press... something like a lee reloader press... it cost under $30.00 and will use the same dies as your Dillon specially if you like to reload 5.7x28.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I was looking at their commercial press as it seems to have all of the options you have to buy with the 650 model. Who has the best prices on these?

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
Hey guys - I popped this over to the "other ammo talk" section since it didn't pertain to 5.7 specifically...

U can ignore my post now :)

·
Registered
636 Posts
ok

This is the one i got RL 550B Reloader and it is just as Good IMO you can upgrade it plus dont for get you still need.

Dies
toolheads (comes with one )
Conversion kits (comes with one)
Brass bullets
Primers
Venieer caliper
Flash hole uniform tool
Deburing tool
case trimmer
case gage ( optional But i find it quick and useful)
Tumbler
tumbler media ( I use walnut)
seprater
case polish
case lube

to start :arrow:

·
Registered
431 Posts
IIRC, the 1050 only supports about 12 calibers or so. An because of it's complexity, caliber changes take a LOT longer to perform than a 550 and even a 650.

Where the 1050 shine is if you are going to load military primer crimped brass. It has a built in swager.

Otherwise, stick with the smaller ones.

I just loaded 700 .308 rounds for my H&K21 belt fed in an hour and hardly broke a sweat. (well, that's sort-a-of a lie, since my right shoulder did get pretty good work out!)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MK23,

Thanks for those points, sounds like the 550 or 650 will do, what about other brands?

abpt1

I was wondering what else was needed to get started with one cal. Say I start with .45 but want to also go to 308 and 223 what else besides dies?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Dies I use either Dillon / RCBS preferably carbide.

Well you will need all of that stuff you can cut back if you only start with a pistol round the other stuff is for rifle round are a little different..

Dies
Brass bullets
Primers
Venieer caliper
case gage ( optional But i find it quick and useful)
Tumbler
tumbler media ( I use walnut)
seprater
Brass bullets
Primers
Venieer caliper
Deburing tool

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yes here is two key factors of a dillon...

RL 550B Reloader, Small Rifle Calibers

Accommodates Over 120 Calibers
Interchangeable Toolhead Assembly
Auto Powder/Priming Systems
Uses Standard 7/8" x 14 Dies
Loading Rate: 500-600 Rounds/Hour
Lifetime "No-B.S." Warranty

More RL 550s have been sold than any other progressive machine in the world. And for good reason. The RL 550B's versatility is almost unlimited. It will load over 120 different rifle and pistol calibers. Its quick change toolhead allows the user to change calibers without having to readjust dies.
Used with Dillon three-die pistol sets, the RL 550B allows crimping to be done separately in the last station. This feature makes die adjustment easier and produces a more consistent and accurate round of ammunition. For this reason, more competition ammunition is loaded on Dillon progressives than on all other loading machines combined.
NOTE: Dies sets sold separately.
*Shown with the following optional accessories: Low Powder Sensor, Plastic Roller Handle, Strong Mount and Bullet Tray

·
Registered
431 Posts
Kendal said:
So the RCBS fit Dillon press?
You're welcome.

Yes, the Dillons use industry standard dies.

I started with the SDB, then got a 550, then had two 550 and now have a 650 with a casefeeder.

I wish I had sprung for the 650 ealier... I am still keeping my 550 for more exotic calibers since it's more versatille, but the 650 still loads a lot of different calibers.

The casefeeder is a marvel (BTW, they just came out with one for the 550 too). It really speeds up the reloading process, and frees up the right arm. And it's a pleasure not to have to touch lubed up cases (rifle, such as 223 and 308) and then smear the lube all over the machine when you go to cycle it. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts