FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My model has a coating of red paint on the slide spring that chips away and sticks to the barrel every time I shoot. I've put only 250 rounds through my fnp9m and noticed the coating flakes off and sticks to the hot barrel making it very difficult to remove from the barrel when cleaning. It is also a pain to remove the flakes from the trigger mechanism and nooks in the lower assembly. Why does fn do this?

Does anyone know where I can get a slide spring assembly without the red coating for my fnp9m?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just keep shooting it, it won't be long before it stops coming off the spring. I won't interfere with the mechanism. Mine did the same thing when I first got it. Now there's some paint left, but it doesn't come off anymore.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just keep shooting it, it won't be long before it stops coming off the spring. I won't interfere with the mechanism. Mine did the same thing when I first got it. Now there's some paint left, but it doesn't come off anymore.
Indeed, I had the same thing happen on mine.

Drew

·
Registered
17 Posts
As the other have said. Kinda annoying but doesn't seem to hurt anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The chipping seems to have stopped now that I've put 400 rounds through it. No more malfunctions either. Thanks for the advice.[/list]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry, but I swear FN owners are the nit pickiest bunch about the most useless of "problems"!

I guess when the gun has no functional flaws, you have to find something to complain about?

hehe..

·
Registered
203 Posts
garn said:
Sorry, but I swear FN owners are the nit pickiest bunch about the most useless of "problems"!

I guess when the gun has no functional flaws, you have to find something to complain about?

hehe..

No kidding.

All of the paint has come completely off of the trigger spring on my .40 I suppose after a few thousand rounds and a few cleaning thats going to happen. I look at every mark, knick and scratch as a sign that I actually use and abuse my pistol.

My guess is that the only reason there is paint on the springs in the first place is to aid in the ease of the assembly process.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I remember having the red paint on the recoil spring when I first bought my FNP-40 and being a little irritated that it was flaking off. After a couple of range sessions and cleanings it stopped and, frankly, I had forgotten about it until this thread. Temporary, minor inconvenience that did not affect the function of the gun. My FNP is my favorite polymer gun because of the decock feature, the smooth DA trigger, comfortable grip, natural pointability and, so far, flawless functioning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts