FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, can somebody explain to me the positive aspects of a green laser sight?

Other than green lasers are "cool", it kind of seems like it wouldn't be smart to put one on a gun if you're wanting to stay concealed at night.

It might be brighter during the day, but during the night, the entire green laser beam will be more visibile and will basically give away your location, right?

·
Administrator
11,082 Posts
Green is easier to pick out in bright sunlight due to the wavelength of the beam.

Red is a little more difficult but it also can be see in bright sunlight, just not as well. You can get a red laser for around $29.00 where some green ones cost over $200.00

Unless you work for a swat unit the green laser is not worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Keep in mind that lasers aren't meant to be left on. They are meant to be be turned on for the shot, that's all. By the time someone see's a laser, it should be too late for them. Now their bad guy buddies are a different story. That's why I don't like lasers in general. I have one, but only for the cool factor. It wouldn't be on the gun I grab in the event of emergency.

Zhur

**take into account that this is waaaaay beyond normal circumstances to begin with.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There seem to be green lasers all over e-bay for around $60 with shipping which is why I asked...

Probably POS models, but who knows...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, thanks. File that under the "use the stupid search function, that's what it's there for" category... :oops:

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I picked up a cheap green laser and have mounted it to a quick release mount as you said it's just too bright for night use but looks cool as you can see the beam at night. For home defense (indoors) I keep my tac light/laser attached as its more practical for any problems I may encounter. 8)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Zhurdan said:
Keep in mind that lasers aren't meant to be left on. They are meant to be be turned on for the shot, that's all. By the time someone see's a laser, it should be too late for them. Now their bad guy buddies are a different story. That's why I don't like lasers in general. I have one, but only for the cool factor. It wouldn't be on the gun I grab in the event of emergency.

Zhur

**take into account that this is waaaaay beyond normal circumstances to begin with.
well if i ever mount a laser on my ps-90 its going to be green with a on off button (not pressure switch) if i ever had to use the laser for point blank shooting it will be left until the threat is gone

·
Banned
151 Posts
"Ashman wrote"There seem to be green lasers all over e-bay for around $60 with shipping which is why I asked...

Probably POS models, but who knows...
I bought one of those cheap lasers on Ebay from Hong Kong and it was a POS for sure. The cost of shipping is so much it's not worth trying to send it back. I then got a NC Star laser from here in the US and so far it works great and was 75 bucks shipped. I know it is still made in China but it is better quality than the others on Ebay and NC Star has a lifetime warranty. I got it on gunbroker and it was a good company to deal with. If you get one on Ebay lookout. Take it from me I've already thrown good money away.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Green lasers are soo high at the moment....ill stick with my red laser at the moment and wait for them to go down in price....i hope

·
Registered
36 Posts
I posted this website on another thread. www.bemeyers.com We use these lasers in my unit. Now the military price is over a thousand dollars but they are the BEST lasers that I have seen. They look almost like a TAC light. You can focus the beam from an aiming point to a flood light. The biggest issue is that they are really powerful and there is a minimum safe distance that you (the shooter) can observe the laser. I believe that the green is like 10 meters. I would have to refer to my manual. I have an IR and a green one (I say that but they actually belong to the Army, they are on my work gun).

Even the green lasers that you can buy on the civilian side are way more powerful than the red ones. It just has to do with the part of the spectrum that the laser is using. I can only imagine what a blue or violet (purple) laser would do to your eyes. We have had guys burn their retinas with the BE Meyers green lasers.

Red is the safest but the hardest to see during the daylight.

·
Registered
119 Posts
green laser

I emailed them and they emailed me back quickly.

I must say very expensive but very nice.

I have a cheap evike.com clone green laser, man is it bright. Very easy to see during the day, I think.

I might have to mount it to my PS90 to see how it looks.

My vote is Green Laser

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I'm not a big laser fan. Now if they could make one that burned a softball size hole through some....thing, I'd quickly change my opinion. I just see their uses as being very very limited. I'd rather have a blinding white light attached to my weapons. Taking out a bad guys night sight is a great tool and has much more tactical advantages IMO.

I'd rather spend my money on buying more bullets. :?

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I think lasers can be part of the "intimidation" factor, but thats just me i have blinding lights as well :)

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
devildoc said:
I'm not a big laser fan. Now if they could make one that burned a softball size hole through some....thing, I'd quickly change my opinion. I just see their uses as being very very limited. I'd rather have a blinding white light attached to my weapons. Taking out a bad guys night sight is a great tool and has much more tactical advantages IMO.

I'd rather spend my money on buying more bullets. :?
I'm really happy with the laser on my G17 now. I liked it before, but once I put tqtrans light on it I really like it. Flip the light on, then the laser and I can blind a bad guy and have a very visible red dot dead center in the beam. It's perfect. The light doesn't wash out the laser at all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
iCeMaN said:
I think lasers can be part of the "intimidation" factor, but thats just me i have blinding lights as well :)

I am inclined to agree with you. We shine a laser on an Iraqi over here and they stop dead in their tracks. It is almost as good as a non lethal.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am inclined to agree with you. We shine a laser on an Iraqi over here and they stop dead in their tracks. It is almost as good as a non lethal.
thats fo-sho! its also funny to watch!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts