FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't help myself when it comes to thinking of ways to improve an already impressive platform. Some months ago I toyed with the notion of using Magpul's Mag-Link but determined that might not be such a good idea. Why? Simple actually, the cartridges are exposed to the environment -dust, moisture etc- and when jostled around they can get out of alignment with the feed lips and magazine making insertion and reliability a problem.

Redi-Mag offers a better solution albeit with a weight gain however 60rnds at the ready is better than 30 IMHO. Before you start hollering about the bump guard that protects the magazine release and bolt lock/release I do know it protrudes and offers an obstruction for both the Mag-Link and Redi-Mag. Alas my friends our trigger modules (lowers) are polymer, with a file that "bump" can be removed.

I've been on the phone with the folks at Boonie Packer and they once pondered the concept of offering the Redi-Mag for the 16s then rejected the idea as they feared the sales numbers would be to low to offset the R&D costs. Has anyone tried to fit a Redi-Mag on a 16s? I know the bump can easily be removed so that's not an issue, I am more concerned about the outside dimensions of the magwell which could present a problem.

It would save me the hassle of purchasing a Redi-Mag if someone here has one and can confirm the mounting strap will in fact work on the 16s' magwell. Boonie Packer informed me if I bought one and it didn't work out I could send it back for a full refund and if I could make it work they would like to know how I did it. Anyone with pertinent information it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Someone did:

The topic's been done to death in the past. It's not compatible and most have concluded it's too much of a hassle to modify one for the 16s as it requires welding. If you have a lot of experience with metal work and fabrication or know someone who does, I'd say go for it. Otherwise just stick with maglink or get one of these if you worry about exposed magazines:

It's polymer, so you might be able to find some way of attaching that to the 16s lower.

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome CPT,

That's all I needed to see, yes I have moderate experience with metal work and fabrication and know plenty of others if it ends up being above my pay grade. As for mounting anything on my 6 o'clock rail, nothing but my AFG2 and Tango Down 2" panel are allowed, 'cept maybe an Atlas bipod which requires the AFG2 coming off or a Branham rail going on. As soon as Power-Technik finalizes the 16s aluminum lower Andrew had offered to remove the bump guard for me prior to coating. I really appreciate you posting this video. Thanks Brother! :?

Reactions: CPTdaz

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
An even more ideal version to modify would be the BFG Redi-Mod which if I'm going to indulge in a Modifications-R-Us mentality might as well go all the way. I'm still keeping overall platform weight in mind but having 30 more rounds readily available is a acceptable trade-off.

View attachment 28196

·
Registered
78 Posts
Be sure to post pics if you get something spun up. I've asked the same question in the past. Unfortunately I'm not as skilled with metal work as some May be.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shall do! :?

Be sure to post pics if you get something spun up. I've asked the same question in the past. Unfortunately I'm not as skilled with metal work as some May be.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got access to a Medical Machining facility plus the Tig-Meister so I'm hoping to get it right without too many 1st times a tryin'. I'll certainly post photos of the end result should it turn out successful and easily replicable within reason cost wise. If you git'er done first get them photos and How To's posted. Thanks...

i was considering this with a machinist/welder i work with. he has a full shop in his basement and makes everything!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts