FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've coped with the MC-10-80 on my PS90 (made 12/05) and while it's a great concept on paper, it wasn't worth a damn at the range. I had it at the range with on a clear sunny day (80F ambient) and the "donut of death" reticle wasn't even clear. Luckily the sun was shining right into the night-time collector and I got a bright and sharp half-cross reticle with a HINT of a small donut in the center. The donut worked rather well for locating the dead center of the bullseye and I managed to get a few shots right into the X-ring.

I noticed that a few people are working on auxiliary lighting for the collectors and that's a pretty good idea.

Has anyone else observed a remarkable difference between the supposed "newer" MC-10-80s used on the black PS90s versus the older MC-10-80s found on the OD PS90s?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard the same thing from FN as well.
I believe it also might be dependent on eyesight. Those with astigmatism or corrective lenses may not see the reticle as clear as those with perfect eyesight.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Glasses can definitely cause problems. I can see the sight just fine with the specs, but cannot without. Strangely, I can pick it out quicker with my off eye, than I can with my strong eye.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The original sight is really not useful. I have an EOtech on mine right now, but it sits too high. My Aimpoint is a little better/lower, but the original sight height was just right. If they could only build a battery powered sight, we would be all in business. Something along the lines of a doctor sight that sits low enough in the current rail, rather than ontop.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thermallator's Project X pretty much involves what you just said. Right now, I am waiting on the USG rail to become available/in stock. I don't mind the 5.5" hold-over.

·
Registered
569 Posts
HK Shooter said:
The original sight is really not useful. I have an EOtech on mine right now, but it sits too high. My Aimpoint is a little better/lower, but the original sight height was just right. If they could only build a battery powered sight, we would be all in business. Something along the lines of a doctor sight that sits low enough in the current rail, rather than ontop.
I also use the Eotech on my PS90's and find that using MagazineParts dual mag clamp setup provides excellent cheekweld.
Tomac

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just use a chin weld. The P90 video that floats around the net where a FNH rep was demonstrating how to keep the stock high and towards the center of your chest was primarily designed to accommodate the higher cheek weld with the Aimpoint red dot. I tried it with the reflex sight and it was very uncomfortable. It shouldn't be a problem with the USG rail + EOTech. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes. The chin weld is fairly effective for the higher hold-over. Personally, I do not like the cheek-weld on a PS90 because the edge of the mag sort of digs into my cheek. It is not contoured like the stock of an AR15.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Finally got a chance to fire the weapon outside of the local indoor range. I actually could see the sight donut just fine. Nighttime, the sights come up a light orange color, but are perfectly visible (although the light source takes about 2-5 seconds to come up.) The real problem seems to be low light position to bright lit target -- I'm assuming the prism (or whatever) collects the light needs pretty direct illumination.

O

·
0 Posts
I had problems obtaining a clear sight picture with both my factory guns, green & black PS90's. After a few experiments with eye and stock relief, I made a 2.5" buttstock extension. Immediately upon installation it made a tremendous improvement with sight picture and quick reflex use.

I offer the buttstock extensions for sale here on the forum. Feedback from others is also starting to come in.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have no problems adjusting to my factory sight. For me it works just fine. I was at a IDPA competition a few weeks ago, after everybody finished the tactical shooting exercise, me and a few buds broke out the assault rifles on one of the courses. The factory scope works good in a tactical environment. Using both eyes to observe the environment, it was fairly easy to line up the target in my sights.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The factory reflex sight works well in a tactical environment with dark backdrops. In dark environments, the tritium may not be bright enough. In bright environments wtih bright backdrops, the white reticle was useless in my experience. I was using the low-light reticle 90% of the time under the sun. What's wrong with that picture?

I would love to buy a black reticle reflex sight, but not for $600. $200-$300 max is about a more reasonable price and makes it competitive with other CQB optics. In the meantime, I'm using an EOTech 512 with the PS90. I don't like the idea of having to rely on batteries, but the PS90 isn't my go-to weapon anyhow.

·
Registered
32 Posts
:D Just picked up my new PS90 OD and is came (at no extra price) the USSS black / tritium sight rather then the "white" standard sight. Are they shipping this way now or did I get lucky?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
usmcronin said:
:D Just picked up my new PS90 OD and is came (at no extra price) the USSS black / tritium sight rather then the "white" standard sight. Are they shipping this way now or did I get lucky?
Wow, now THAT is lucky. Its about time!

I still wouldn't go back to the stock sight from my EOtech, but it would be nice if they had some program to switch out the white ones...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I recall the Ring Sights website stating that the reticle could be changed by the armorer.
I guess that was a marketing ploy to try and sell their product.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, I doubt they'll eat the cost to do an exchange program for all the ones they have already issued.

Considering the gun has been out so long in the P90 version, they never should have released it w/ the white sight. Oh well....

I would imagine that they may eventually sell the bolack one straight from the factory for less than the $600 CMMG is charging... (or CMMG will maybe lower their price)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts