FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I quit reloading about a year ago and admit I am a bit rusty as to data. When I sold my equipment the buyer insisted on my load journal which had over 30 years of notes and loads. To the point....my friend recently bought a FNX 9. He loaded 115 gr Berry bullet with 6.5 AA #5. The chronograph showed a average of 989 fps. His complaint was that the load was supper hard on recoil. Lowered the powder to 6 gr and the pistol would not cycle. I remember AA #5 as being good at 5.9 to 6.0. He reloaded at 6.2 and all went well but the crony average was not that much different. I would have thought that 5.9 or 6.0 would do well. Any thoughts? Oh yes he does not use reloads for carry or home defense.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I would hesitate to recommend a specific load as different guns have different appetites.
First step recommendation Load Data « Accurate Powders
Find the desired bullet weight ( I like 125 in lead and 124 in FMJ/JHP) I find myself loading quite a few 115 grain, just because that's what's out there.
Start at the beginning load and go up in increments your comfortable with, normally by 10ths. Be mindful to your OAL and other best practices. Go to the range and try them out. Look for traditional signs of pressure, flat primers etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts