FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got into reloading. Never thought I would like it, but I in fact Love it!! Essentially I only got into it to reload 458 socom which is hard to find and very expensive. It just make sense to reload it. Well now that I know I like reloading and running some numbers it makes sense to reload some other calibers I like. For instance not counting set up costs I can load 300 blackout for about thirty cents on the dollar verses buying loaded ammo. Speaking of initial setup costs lol that is what is killing me. I keep telling myself it will pay for itself in the long run. But for the short term my cc is melting and Larry potterfield is smiling. Another expensive hobby is all I really needed..........

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
This is why I have been putting it off. Several people have told me that for the price of reloading components and the unavailability of some of them it's just not worth it and just by the ammo now that it has come down in price. I am sure that it loaded advice but I figure 10K of each caliber ought to hold me over for a while. I am lucky in that .308 Is the most expensive caliber I own. I think If I had a .458 or .338 or something like that I would be forced to take the plunge.

The other issue is that I know I like to do it. My dad taught me a couple of years ago and I think it's relaxing so I am really fighting it. :(. Thanks for sharing your experience sld. best of luck to you and your wallet.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I got into reloading a little over two years ago. Since then I have loaded just over 4,000 rounds in 9mm and .45 ACP. I guess it all depends on your setup, but I spent about $380 in reloading equipment. It is all mostly Lee and Frankford Arsenal stuff. Single stage Lee precision press. I consider that pretty inexpensive and it works great! It takes me about 25 minutes to load a box. I shoot what I load, and buy factory ammo to tuck away for a rainy day... or whenever I feel I need some new brass in the mix. I am not sure how much money it has saved me, because I shoot more now than I did, but I can say the equipment has more than paid for itself in those two calibers alone. It cost me less than half price of the cheapest commercial ammunition I can find. I also find It quite relaxing and fun!
All components in my area are easy to get again. Powder has been the big thing that has been hard to find until about a month ago things started showing back up on the shelves and not disappearing as soon as they hit.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've been reloading for years on a single stage. Shooting has picked up and placed a greater demand on output so I picked up a Dillon XL650. Unfortunately for my wallet, it is AMAZING!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I go halfway on batches with my buddy. It's only cheaper to load match ammo if there is brass avalible. To buy once fired and supplies to load a batch it's cheaper to buy plain fmj

·
Registered
660 Posts
This is why I have been putting it off. Several people have told me that for the price of reloading components and the unavailability of some of them it's just not worth it and just by the ammo now that it has come down in price. I am sure that it loaded advice but I figure 10K of each caliber ought to hold me over for a while. I am lucky in that .308 Is the most expensive caliber I own. I think If I had a .458 or .338 or something like that I would be forced to take the plunge.

The other issue is that I know I like to do it. My dad taught me a couple of years ago and I think it's relaxing so I am really fighting it. :(. Thanks for sharing your experience sld. best of luck to you and your wallet.
This will blow some of you away but I have loved the reloading part of this game almost More that trigger pulling. No bull! Ever since I was 4 years old and helping my dad and grandfather make match ammo along with what they called "perfectly Mated" ammo for each and all of the hunting rifles and handguns I was hooked into the science and the solitude of it.
Now 50 years later I have a "remanufacturing" addiction. One of my handloading rooms is truly one of the nicest and most elaborate rooms in the house! White counter tops, solid red oak cabinets, African animal mounts... Everything! Ponesswarn's, Bonanza Co-ax's, Redding's, Dillon's.....and of course RCBS stuff. Just name something! The place looks like a Sinclair's catalog of everything they've ever sold.
Upon my dad's death the loading equipment and components were appraised at his place at just a little over 62K. (and that was in 1995) Now add that to ALL my stuff of which since I was a pro competition shooter in the smooth bore game I have hydraulic assisted auto Ponessness stuff in 12ga, 20ga, 28ga, and 410 bore.... the equipment and ALL THE COMPONENTS that take up a shop and well,,,,, all together we're talking the cost of a nice home.
So Kam - when you say that you're fighting it because you know you'll like it.... trust me, it will consume you - but it's soooo damn awesome!!:? You think your 17 shoots great groups with 168gr Fed GM Match, wait till you experiment and find out what REALLY makes it sing the best.
It's soooo cool to call supply places to find out how many primers of a certain brand and number they have in stock and after they say "we have 45,000 in stock. We have this, and that, and this... What would you like?" and you Answer with "Yes" :lol: As in all of them. Ha ha ha ha! Seriously Kam - "come over to the Dark Side Luke and feel it's power run through you!":-D

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I bought a single stage Lee and their turret press last year as well as a scale, Hornady powder dispenser, and other reloading stuff (and dies for 5 calibers). Just what I've loaded up in 45 ACP I've 'paid off' the cost of my reloading equipment, then toss in the 6.5 Grendel, 308, 5.56, and 9mm I've loaded the past 6 months. And yes, I have shot more than I probably would have, but I would have probably paid the same amount to shoot less just buying factory ammo.

·
Administrator
12,028 Posts
I have a Hornady Progressive and a couple of single stage presses including the Rock Chucker Supreme and a couple of low end Lee presses. And yes, compared to the others, the Lee is low end. It is adequate but certainly not considered able to put out consistent bench rest ammunition IMHO. There is just too much slop in the presses. You have to load a lot of ammo to recoup your initial outlay in costs. In this alone, you should not even consider this because it is not reality unless you get a FFL and do commercial sales of reloaded ammunition. But when you do reload lots of ammo, the cost of ammo now becomes pennies on the dollar and you get to shoot more which is what reloading is really all about as well as tuning each round for each platform. This is the key benefit to reloading, is tuning each round to maximize the performance of the platform.

Do not forget that there will come another day that some tragedy will happen and another gun grabbing event will take place and the price of ammo is going to skyrocket again. I have been stockpiling my reloading components for this reason alone so I do not get caught with my "pants down" again. When you look at the very real possibility that 5.56 or .308 is going to cost more than $2 per round after the next anti gun crowd fuled great crisis, reloading is almost considered a must. Another benefit is that for those that have a tracking system for ammunition purchases, reloading prevents the reporting of ammunition sales. Anytime that I can do something that the mommy government does not get to know about it, is the very best option in my book.

So look just beyond "reloading" and examine the security and opportunities it offers during "crisis times" which we all know are going to happen again and again and again until the gun grabbers get what they want, confiscation of all firearms and ammunition with the exception of musket balls and black powder, and I suspect that licensing and registration and mental examinations will be a must for even that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts