FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running a few setups after doing some research for the complete process in reloading my 40 s&w's.

1. I reize and deprime the brass.
2. take those from step 1 and send them through my lee single stage press wit a lee crimp die ad bulge buster.
(I a noticing that there is still a slight lower case bulge but still slide smoothly in and out of the leyman 40 case dial/checker)-****should I be concerned**
3.run them through the resizer again as this I the first stage on the lee 1000 press, etc until a bullet is complete.

I am noticing pretty much on all the reloaded bullets that there is slight uniform bulge at the base of the brass but slide in and out of the case checker.

I even at times load the mag, and manually cycle through the whole mag ******when it comes time to live fire the rounds, is this bulge something to worry about or this normal o reloading.*****

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
:? GTG! I'm not sure why it does it. It could be because of the crimp being more of a taper than a roll. A bulge is more like you would see if you reloaded brass once fired out of a glock. I got rcbs, hornady, lee and redding dies and they all do this. Let the shooosting begin!!

·
Administrator
11,087 Posts
:? GTG! I'm not sure why it does it. It could be because of the crimp being more of a taper than a roll. A bulge is more like you would see if you reloaded brass once fired out of a glock. I got rcbs, hornady, lee and redding dies and they all do this. Let the shooosting begin!!
It is not that simple.

Brass when it is sent through a bulge buster does not return the brass to factory specs. As the brass flows, it can still leave weak spots where it was previously bulged. Hence the question of what firearm will these be used in.

Does it also have a large unsupported chamber???

More info is needed instead of a 'GTG'. It is not your gun so why not, huh?

·
Registered
117 Posts
It is not that simple.

Brass when it is sent through a bulge buster does not return the brass to factory specs. As the brass flows, it can still leave weak spots where it was previously bulged. Hence the question of what firearm will these be used in.

Does it also have a large unsupported chamber???

More info is needed instead of a 'GTG'. It is not your gun so why not, huh?
My apologies. I wasn’t trying to imply that any kind of case deformities are ok. I was referring to the bulge in a once fired brass in a glock chamber that’s unsupported. I am by no means a professional but I have been reloading for quite some time (9, .40 .45, .44, .223, .308 etc. etc.) I see what he is referring to is not a bulge but more that the resizing die isn’t as tight forming towards the rim of the brass. Unless it’s an issue of over crimping and causing the case to collapse but there wasn’t any evidence shown in the pics. I personally would not reload brass shot out of a glock especially a .40 or 10mm unless it was new brass. Even the bulge busters I’m not a fan of. If the brass has that much of a deformation that a resizing die will not work, it ain’t worth taking that chance. Again my apologies and I will use more caution and take more time in selecting my words. If this helps, I found this pic illustrating the resizing, belling and seating. DILLON_carbide_3_die_pistol_reloading_Die.png

·
Administrator
11,087 Posts
My apologies. I wasn’t trying to imply that any kind of case deformities are ok. I was referring to the. bulge in a once fired brass in a glock chamber that’s unsupported. I am by no means a professional but I have been reloading for quite some time (9, .40 .45, .44, .223, .308 etc. etc.) I see what he is referring to is not a bulge but more that the resizing die isn’t as tight forming towards the rim of the brass. Unless it’s an issue of over crimping and causing the case to collapse but there wasn’t any evidence shown in the pics. I personally would not reload brass shot out of a glock especially a .40 or 10mm unless it was new brass. Even the bulge busters I’m not a fan of. If the brass has that much of a deformation that a resizing die will not work, it ain’t worth taking that chance. Again my apologies and I will use more caution and take more time in selecting my words. If this helps, I found this pic illustrating the resizing, belling and seating. View attachment 22639
None necessary. I do not know the OPs reloading experience so I wanted a little more info on how to direct the appropriate answer.

Glocks are netorious for having unsupported chambers and I would really feel more comfortable with more than was posted.

I agree with just about everything you said. The key here is to make sure that these will be used in something more appropriate than a Glock.

I am not a fan of those Lee busters because you need to part it together with a crimp die to get it to work. Geeze, Lee needs to spend a couple more bucks and do something better. I use the Redding myself.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I push all my .40 range pickup brass through a Redding GRx: G-Rx Push Thru Base Sizing Die | Redding Reloading Equipment: reloading equipment for rifles, handguns, pistols, revolvers and SAECO bullet casting equipment prior to reloading on my Dillon.

I found it worked better than the Lee 'bulge buster' for me.

Based upon the OP's photos above, I don't *visually* see anything of concern, but am also not one to make a GTG pronouncement based upon a few internet pics. And as noted, a lot centers on what firearm you're going to be shooting this stuff out of, so more information would be in order. I don't own a Glock, but I personally wouldn't shoot .40 reloads out of a Glock specifically because of the partially-unsupported chamber. Too many kaboom stories out there. I'll reload and shoot the guts out of that stuff in my FNX-40 though, after a thorough inspection, cleaning, and push-through sizing. :x

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Range and my brass mixed, shooting from Springfield xd .40 which is supported, Lee bulge buster, I am getting these rim bulges just from the first stage of the press (deprime and resizing), But I recheck the completed bullet in the case dial and still slides in and out, but retains that slight bulge.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would a complete video on ,my process be of more help. As I would like to perfect the process while retain safety.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts