FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about bullet grain and ballistic coefficient. Do any of the more experienced reloaders know if changing the shape of a projectile will significantly change the charge required? Put more simply, can I use the same load data for any 168 grain bullet? I am asking because I came accross these and wanted to load them but I was worried that the charge data may be off and I can't find any data for this specific shape of projectile. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HT Ballistics Bullets .30 Caliber (.308) 168 Gr. T50 Solid Copper Glass Penetrators- Box of 40
HTB308168GP.jpg

·
Registered
158 Posts
A change in shape can require a different charge because the bearing surface, the surface area that contacts the bore, can increase or decrease depending on shape.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A change in shape can require a different charge because the bearing surface, the surface area that contacts the bore, can increase or decrease depending on shape.
Is it enough of a difference for me to be looking at powder charges for a lighter grain? Or is it like Vertigosol says below where I can just start with the lightest charge for the grain and then slowly work up while looking for pressure signs? Also any difference in the caliber? I was thinking about loading up some 338 as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts