FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! to the forum, I would like to ask those that reload the 5.7 x 28mm cartridge if you have had any problems with primers not staying in the cases? I was loading up some rounds today and noticed several cases (about 10% of them) the primer would not stay in. Most of these cases were fired factory ammo and had not been previously reloaded. Is there any way to fix this or just throw them out? Thanks, LM

·
Registered
137 Posts
Primer pockets

This is not unusual in the 57 case thats been loaded a couple of times , or loaded hot. Once its oversize, thats it, case is scap, do not try to loctite or other wise seal the primer in, its dangerous! It only takes about .0015 to.002 oversize to cause a loose primer.
You state that most were once fired, is it possible that the 10% that you had problems with had been reloaded before? Possibly range brass? Do you de-burr the primer pocket more than just a kiss on the edge to ease the seating? These cases have so little thickness around the pocket diameter, its a wonder that they take one load, let alone the 5 or 6 that I've been able get out of them.

This is not a forgiving cartridge to load, and I've read some absolutley STupid practices concerning it on other info sources, so be careful what you take as good practice. There are loading specs from Accuate and Western, more everyday. The lack of virgin brass has stopped most load data development from corporate sources as they wont use brass of un-known history to work pressure specs. Hopefully that will change.

Always ask,, no such thing as a dumb question when your face is positioned over the chamber of a P-90, or your digits in close proximity to the 40,000+ psi in the pistol. Hope this helps

SOF

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SOFMatchstaff, Its possable the offending cases were reloaded once but I think its mostly the fact that several of the cases were from Elite SuperRaptors, as these rounds are much hotter than the FN ammo. Even still most of the the cases, even though the primer stayed in place, it seemed like they seated in the primer pocket too easily. Only a hand full of the rounds that I reloaded which I actually felt some resistance seating the primers. Is there a danger in shooting these or should I pull them apart? Whats the worst that can happen if I do shoot them? Thanks, LM.
PS. I don't debur the primer pocket.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Primers

Its been generally accepted that when primers loosen or fall out that the load is too HOT, obviously a blown or pierced cup is an immediate indication of problems, but the loose cup doesnt manifest itself until it hits the loading bench. So, if you didnt fire the factory rounds to aquire the cases, then you have no accurate info on the case history.

What priming tool are you using, as the feel from different kinds can be decieving, there should be a subtle resistance/pressure when it goes in and a definite stop when it seats. If I feel that the seating pressure is odd, I'll test the un-sized cases in the lot that I'm working on with a hand held decap rod to see if the primer will come out easily, if so , it probably wont hold a new cup.

Is there a risk and whats a worst case , Its your face and your digits, so I guess its your decision..... I have pulled down a bunch of ammo because It was suspect, but I have also had an HK SL-7 grenade in my face from the CBC 75, 7.62 surplus ammo that came on the market years ago. I was lucky, but others werent.

As to the modified FN ammo thats being sold, any ammo that destroys the case integrity on the first shot , I want nothing to do with!!

You can roll some very good ammo without getting into the danger zone that some folks think is neccessary to poke holes in paper. Load for accuracy and reliable function and your brass and weapon will last much longer. Sorry, didnt mean to ramble but you hit a trigger word. Hope this is useful to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts