FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the suppressor warranties would most likely be void if one fired reloads through them, but would you guys be comfortable doing it? I have a AAC M4/2000 suppressor for my carbines, but I do not reload .223 yet, even though I do have the dies. Right now I reload 9mm and .45 ACP. I am currently about 3 months into my wait for an AAC Tirant .45 which I plan on using on a KRISS Vector, HK45ct and a Glock G19. I have never had any issues with my reloads, but I am wondering whether you all would be comfortable using reloads with such suppressors, or have you already done so? Conversely, would you recommend just sticking to factory ammo when shooting suppressed?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Warranties only apply to fault of that product being used. Warranties do not cover fault of someone else product. For your question The suppress warranty does not matter what you shoot through it if its shot with what it was designed to be shot with. If you have a reload problem and shoot one through the side of the suppressor somehow its not the suppressor or guns fault. You as the loader are the sole responsible party for what ever happens with a reload you put together.

Stick with factory.

·
Administrator
11,104 Posts
I do not have any issues with shooting my reloaded ammunition through a suppressor. The main concern is that in load development, you run the risk of having a bullet yaw as soon as it leaves the barrel. I would never shoot a reload in development through a suppressor first without ensuring that the load will hit the target without key-holing or other types of failures.

Just so long as you do load development carefully, you should have no problems. The idea here is to make sure that the bullet once it leaves the barrel flies a true path. Once that is achieved, go ahead and send them through the suppressor.

Incidentally, with some factory ammo, the projectile will yaw right out of the barrel so there is no guarantee that using a factory load will not damage the suppressor either.

You always take a chance when firing ammunition. It is part of life in the firearm arena.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not have any issues with shooting my reloaded ammunition through a suppressor. The main concern is that in load development, you run the risk of having a bullet yaw as soon as it leaves the barrel. I would never shoot a reload in development through a suppressor first without ensuring that the load will hit the target without key-holing or other types of failures.

Just so long as you do load development carefully, you should have no problems. The idea here is to make sure that the bullet once it leaves the barrel flies a true path. Once that is achieved, go ahead and send them through the suppressor.

Incidentally, with some factory ammo, the projectile will yaw right out of the barrel so there is no guarantee that using a factory load will not damage the suppressor either.

You always take a chance when firing ammunition. It is part of life in the firearm arena.
I love your response. Thanks so much! One question....I DO stick to reloading manual recipes and do not create or try to follow the advice of others in terms of exotic load recipes. How can I be sure that my reloads that are straight out of a reputable reloading manual do not yaw immediately out of the barrel? Is there a test? My reloads have always seems to be just as accurate as my factory loads while shooting unsuppressed so far.

·
Vendor
3,283 Posts
I have shot reloads thru mine, they are tested out " supp free " 1st and are primarily " match grade " reloads.
Thanks for asking the question, this is a good 1..... to bring up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I love your response. Thanks so much! One question....I DO stick to reloading manual recipes and do not create or try to follow the advice of others in terms of exotic load recipes. How can I be sure that my reloads that are straight out of a reputable reloading manual do not yaw immediately out of the barrel? Is there a test? My reloads have always seems to be just as accurate as my factory loads while shooting unsuppressed so far.
I'll start by saying I don't have any of my cans yet, I just transferred back to a free state for shore duty and have several awaiting stamps now. Also, haven't loaded any of my own ammo yet, but my Christmas present from my wife just showed up the other day. It's a Lee Classic Turret Press and I'm just waiting on getting a bench set up and my powder/bullets to arrive and I'm sure I'll be as obsessed with reloading as I am with guns and nfa stuff. That being said, I plan on working up good loads for my guns and when I get a good load worked up I figure if I put several of them through paper and have all perfect holes with no keyholing or other evidence of tumbling/yawning through the paper then they should be safe to go through my cans. I could be wrong but it seems unlikely that if the bullet is unstable leaving the barrel that it would somehow be able to stabilize better after leaving the barrel and hitting the paper. I fully intend to shoot hand loads through my cans as that seems like the only economical way to get subsonic loads for some of the calibers I want to shoot such as 9 mm , .308, and especially .300 blk. I've been buying every box of subsonic .300 blk I've seen on the shelves here for about three months now in anticipation of my SBR that is awaiting transfer to my dealer. So far I've managed to scrounge up 7 boxes. All for around 13 to 19 dollars per box. I want to enjoy some quieter shooting and have the satisfaction of making my own ammo without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well not that I would want to test their warranty but Huntertown says they will cover everything short of stupid, the baffles not being in the serialized part of the suppressor too. That is if of course they are not put out of business in the future with this new 41P proposal by the ATF.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do I test my handgun round to see for evidence of yaw or tumble? What do I look for while unsuppressed. My loads seem accurate at 8-10 yards, but not sure what they are doing as they exit the barrel

·
Administrator
11,104 Posts
Check them at multiple ranges to see if any are key-holing. Also, if you have some projectiles that are not hitting where you are aiming and you know that you are aiming correctly, this is an indicator of potential yaw. Yaw, precession, mutation are all potential problems when firing a projectile through a suppressor. Get and use a chronograph. If you bullet fails to register, this is also an indication of a problem (maybe).

The only way to be absolutely sure is with a very high speed camera recording the flight path so that you can actually see how the projectile is traveling. Unfortunately, this methodology is accurate for the one projectile fired and recorded, not every duplicated load that you will fire through the firearm. This type of equipment is not in the financial realm of many shooters outside of high tech ballistics laboratories so for us, we can only do what we can by visually inspecting the impact on the target at various ranges and make adjustments to our loads to correct this.

Bullet sectional densities are also something that have to be looked at as they affect the flight path of the projectile.

For the average reloader, you do the best that you can and hope that you never have a problem. As was mentioned before, even factory loads have their own problems and there will never be any guarantee that something will not go amiss. I can't say that it rarely happens, only that it happens and we all take our chances when firing a load through a suppressor or even just firing a load through the handgun/rifle.

Much like you take a chance every time you drive your car. You can be as careful as possible but sometimes external factors that you have no control over will still result in you having a bad day. You can only minimize what you have control over.

I do not ever worry about it. I recognize that it is a possibility and if it happens, it happens. Just make sure that you do your load development correctly and utilize accurate data. Do a bunch of cross checking and do not be afraid to call the projectile manufacturers and ask them what they consider the best projectile for use in your specific platform with a suppressor. That why they have ballistics labs.

·
Vendor
3,283 Posts
I have used a high speed camera before, not for shooting, for manufacturing. They are impressive and expensive as you said. At least back in the 90's... they were !

Thanks for your post, you are a wealth of information. Sometimes I'm amazed at what " I don't know "....

This is an excellent thread for the beginner " supp " owner/enthusiast !

Reactions: HK SD9 Tactical

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have fired 10's of thousands of reloaded rounds, in many calibers, through suppressed rifles, pistols, SMG's and MG's with zero issues. The leading cause of damage to suppressors is improper mounting.
You cut and threaded my PS90 barrel. I also got a bi-lock mount from you as well. I shoot reloads with a Gemtech G5 on my PS90 SBR and have never had a problem. Well I do have a problem, but that's the 50RD mags and the time it takes to reload. About 1-2 min average reload time per bullet. So about a little over a hour to reload and 2 mins to empty that mag. God I miss the days when I was buying 5.7 for a little less the $10 a box.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts