FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Remington 1100 rebuild is complete.
From the shotgun photo thread:

I dug out my 30 year old Remington 1100 Skeet-T, and since it wasn't doing anyone any good sitting in the safe, I figured now was as good a time as any to "tac it up".

I swapped out the 26" Skeet barrel for a 22" Competition Master Barrel.
I removed the beautiful wood and put on a 13" LOP Choate synthetic stock and a Remington fore end.
With the shorter stock, my wife who is 4'11" can shoulder it.
G&G operating handle and a Tac +3 mag tube.
Currently in the shop getting all the springs replaced.
I wasn't interested in a breaching choke tube, but when the wife saw it, she said the gun "had to have it"...and she must be obeyed.

Range report:
When I dropped it off with Wild West Guns, I was told it would be ready in a week.
I got the call to pick it up after three days. Yes, I gave the smith a $40 tip.

Took it out to the Clark County Shooting Complex this morning and shot 100 rounds of 00 with some slugs thrown in.
The gun ran like a scalded cat.

Remington 00 from 10 yards:

DSCF0239.JPG

And the same load from 7 yards:

DSCF0240.JPG

Taking the wife to shoot it next week.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Nice work, Steve!

It's a great scattergun; I enjoy using it for sporting. Alongside the 1187, 390, 870, Versamax, Browning, etc.

I think Beretta makes one of my favorite semis... I'm not a snob when it comes to sporting clays, and use any 3GN/hunting/sporting multi-use semi;

I don't know why, but the first time I shot a 390, something really hit me that made me like it a lot.

I just looked that their 400 series... I'm guessing it replaced the 390?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, so I lied...the rebuild was complete...until I decided to add to it.
I just spent two hours installing an enlarged safety and a Dave's MetalWorks Easy Loader.
The Easy Loader wasn't that difficult, but it was a pain to "tune it" (install, test, remove, file, and repeat...three times.)
I'm really happy with the finished product.
Loading is MUCH faster.
I'll post some visuals later.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Cool. I have an old 1100 magnum waiting for me to 3-gun it up. Can you do a tutorial on installing the easy loader?

Also how difficult is it to install a LH safety?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the tutorial that I used yesterday.

INSTALL: Dave's Metal Works Easyloader - Remington 1100 12ga (56k BEWARE!) - Shotgun Forums

It's the most detailed one I could find.
There are video ones, but not very good.

As far as changing the safety, I'm pretty sure you can't just flip the factory safety over to make it left handed.
I'd recommend picking up something like this-----> Fortmann's Left Hand Safety Conversion Remington 552 740 760 870 1100

Remove the trigger group and use a small punch or drill bit to remove the retaining pin.
Hold your finger over the little hole so the spring doesn't fly out.
Turn the trigger group over and a little spring and ball detent should fall out.
Push out the old safety.
Insert the new safety, drop in the ball detent and then replace the spring.
While pushing down on the spring, slide the retaining pin back in.
Function test it before reinstalling it. It should click positively in both directions and should lock the trigger when on safe.

Post some pics when you get it done!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts