FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
11,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comments?

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD - Remington Centerfire Rifles

Been looking on a good base action for a long range build.

Good place to start? It was available yesterday at $506 shipped with a $40 MIR. Today it is $645. Should I have bought even realizing that I will have to change the stock, add a Harris bipod, some good glass and rings and probably a Gissele trigger.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Comments?

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD - Remington Centerfire Rifles

Been looking on a good base action for a long range build.

Good place to start? It was available yesterday at $506 shipped with a $40 MIR. Today it is $645. Should I have bought even realizing that I will have to change the stock, add a Harris bipod, some good glass and rings and probably a Gissele trigger.
What kind of budget are you looking at on the base build? And how much smithing are you going to do?

I know there is a lot being said about the declining quality of Remington, but i was skeptical until a friend bought a 700 .270 last year. Wasn't terrible, but i was less than impressed. Nothing like the 700 actions i knew from 20 years ago.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I was lookin at the same thing yesterday. Grabagun has them today for $467 after rebate. More time to mull it over. This would be the base for my setup. Dont shoot enough bolt action to condone more money.

·
Administrator
11,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would not want to spend an arm and a leg but want a decent sub moa shooter. Bedding the barrel and some upgrades are considered. Most of the light weight smiting to be done by myself. It would be after all, "my build".

I mean, I already have the can for it......

·
Registered
255 Posts
We used that rifle as the base for the wife's new "deer" gun.
Replaced the stock with one from B&C, added a Timney trigger and a Vortex 4-16x50. Oh and got her 300 rds of assorted 308 to play with.

Works well ;)

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
If you get a good stiff stock, it'll be good to go. My buddy got a 26" bbl heavy barrel 700 and dropped it in a Bell and Carlson stock, topped it with a Nikon Monarch. From what I remember, it has the X-mark trigger (internally adjusted from what I remember, it is quite nice and light, no take up, so not sure if it is the current line of triggers). It'll shoot sub-moa when the shooter does their part. I don't think it's quite a 1/2 moa gun though.

And that Vortex you're looking at would be a good scope. I was between that and a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20 and wound up going with the Leupold. I think I would have been happy with the Vortex though.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Houge stock was not for me (sold each for 100 bucks) - so went with AI 1.5 on both the .308 build and 300BLK - rail on both are Larue Rem 700SA w/0 MOA(these are machined like none other - I did have some Weaver rails but they both would have required to be bedded (not a deal breaker as you DYI w/JB Weld) - .308 glass is a Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) in a Larue ORB mount (went this route as I still run a Aimpoint w/magnifier on my 17S) - and got it at a smoking price at my LGS) and now have decent scope for the 17S.

Trigger is a X-mark in both guns but the adjustment is with a allen screw that is just above the pad of your index finger (its ok but that is where you adjust the pull weight 2lbs worth up/down) and true pull weight my 300 BLK was all over the place sometimes 3.5lbs up to 5lbs while the .308 was on at 3.5 - here is how to adjust:
Flip the barrel over, with the trigger facing up. The adjustment screw is on the front of the trigger assembly in the middle. There is only one adjustment screw, and it is a 1/16" allen key.
Clean off any epoxy or anything that might be holding the screw in place.

To lighten the trigger pull, turn the screw counter clockwise. To increase pull weight, turn the screw clockwise. It would help to count the turns that you made, so that if you want to return to the previous pull weight you can easily accomplish it. I managed to lighten my trigger pull to about 4 lbs. 2 oz. (counter-clockwise). Note: if the trigger pull is too light, the bolt will not cock, so increase trigger pull (clockwise) by about 1/4 turn at a time until the bolt cocks.

You may get it down lighter but again hit or miss - the only way is to remover the trigger pack and adjust the sear (you can get it down to baby breath 1.5lb) but you open yourself up to slam fire and a VERY un-safe weapon ... and maybe void any Remington warranty. Brownells has or had a good deal on Timeny triggers on Black Friday sale at the time for $109 - way easy to adjust and the trigger it self is a tad wider and to me has a better feel over the X-mark.

Its a fun bench gun and the 300BLK build is for my son for Christmas -

IMG_1167.JPG

·
Administrator
11,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think that I really would have preferred this in 300 Blackout but for the price, I can live with the .308 Win.

Yeah, I bought it. I think it was a great deal for $456. Been looking at the SPS for a couple of years now. If I don't like it, it will be easy to sell because of the base price. Of course, I really never sell a firearm. They all seem to wind up at the bottom of the ocean somehow or another....

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
+1 on the vortex. Have a viper in 6.5-20, and while the upper end isn't super crisp, and the relief is pretty bad.....for the money and the warranty, i am completely sold. Worth twice what it costs.

·
Administrator
11,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well, for glass I am looking at the Vortex Viper PST 4X16X50 EBR-1 with MIL/MIL. I was leaning towards the 6X20X50 but it seemed a bit much for under 500 yards (even though I am planning to go out much further than 500). The 6X20 can be had for about a couple hundred more but I think it is overkill for the 700 SPS and might pose problems for under 300 yards.....

This is not a definite, just a good example of what I am looking for.

I am looking at the 4X16X50 for several reasons:

It is good out to 1000 yards if not more (although that might be a stretch for a 4X16).
It has a good field of view.
It is First Focal Plane (this is almost a must have)
MIL/MIL with .1 Mil graduations and Exposed Target style Turrets.
CRS Zero Stop. Although it uses the wedges and is not quite a positive stop, it is still pretty good.
While the internal max elevation as 75 MOA (do not know if that is 75/75 or 37.5/37.5 need to do more research on it) but I am also looking at a 20 MOA canted base mount for that extra long range.
I really like the 4" eye relief.
And it is illuminated, which my tired eyes will probably appreciate.

Comments on other possibilities in this range of options and the same price range?

@ keystone: What do you mean the relief is pretty bad? I understand that 3.5" to 4" is considered better than most.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Probably means that you have to keep your eye lined up with the center of the scope. My Millet is like that on 16x - If I'm a little low, can't see through the scope very well. My Leupold is a lot more generous in that regard.

If keystone has just the viper and not the Viper PST, they are different levels of glass quality.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Also, I haven't found my 6.5-20 Leupold to be a hindrance under 300 if only used for target shooting (which is all I use it for). It's kind of nice sometimes, especially when spotting for my friends.

And 16x is fine at 1000 yards in my experience, but again, I'll take higher power if I have it available.

Reactions: Ferris2son
1 - 20 of 30 Posts