FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
News | Friday, May 16, 2014 Remington Announces Corporate Consolidation The buzz around the industry early yesterday was that Advanced Armament Corp was being closed down and relocated. Before the end of business yesterday, employees at six Remington properties along with two production lines in Ilion, New York, were told their companies- and jobs- were relocating to Huntsville, Alabama.

Here's the official company statement from spokesperson Teddy Novin:

"Earlier today we announced the consolidation of multiple company plants into our Huntsville, Alabama facility. This was a strategic business decision to concentrate our resources into fewer locations and improve manufacturing efficiency and quality. We are working hard to retain as many from the affected facilities as possible."

The companies being relocated and their current locations are:
Advanced Armament Corp, Lawrenceville, Georgia; Montana Rifleman, Kalispell, Montana; TAPCO, Kennesaw, Georgia; LAR Manufacturing, West Jordan, Utah;
Para-Ordnance, Pineville, North Carolina; and DPMS, St. Cloud, Minnesota. Additionally, the Bushmaster production and Remington 1911 production lines will also be relocating from Ilion, New York.

A Remington source tells The Outdoor Wire Digital Network the company will be offering relocation opportunities but an attractions of modern state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities like the one in Huntsville, Alabama is their innate ability to eliminate head count without negatively impacting production outputs.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I can't help but think of the employees at Montana Rifleman rifles in Kalispell Montana that are being told you can keep your job if you move to AL. They'd have to be INSANE to leave Kalispell for Huntsville, Alabama. Kalispell is like living in a postcard. One of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Right at the foot of the Rocky Mountains. Hunting, fishing, and camping at it's best within a 10 minute drive. (Funny how when Kimber of Oregon moved manufacturing out of Oregon and changed the name to Kimber of America, set up manufacturing in NY. but it's corporate office is in Kalispell Montana. (It shows the corp heads aren't stupid!) Dan Lilja of Lilja barrels, Dan Cooper of Cooper rifles, est, est,.... they all live in Kalispell MT. Quite the gun friendly town as you can imagine.
Kalispell for Huntsville?? Ahhh, seriously!?

kalispell.jpg Kalispell,%20MT3.jpg Bowman-Lake-Glacier-Park-100_1338.jpg twin-lakes.jpg

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
News | Friday, May 16, 2014

Remington Announces Corporate Consolidation

The buzz around the industry early yesterday was that Advanced Armament Corp was being closed down and relocated. Before the end of business yesterday, employees at six Remington properties along with two production lines in Ilion, New York, were told their companies- and jobs- were relocating to Huntsville, Alabama.

Here's the official company statement from spokesperson Teddy Novin:

"Earlier today we announced the consolidation of multiple company plants into our Huntsville, Alabama facility. This was a strategic business decision to concentrate our resources into fewer locations and improve manufacturing efficiency and quality. We are working hard to retain as many from the affected facilities as possible."

The companies being relocated and their current locations are:
Advanced Armament Corp, Lawrenceville, Georgia; Montana Rifleman, Kalispell, Montana; TAPCO, Kennesaw, Georgia; LAR Manufacturing, West Jordan, Utah;
Para-Ordnance, Pineville, North Carolina; and DPMS, St. Cloud, Minnesota. Additionally, the Bushmaster production and Remington 1911 production lines will also be relocating from Ilion, New York.

A Remington source tells The Outdoor Wire Digital Network the company will be offering relocation opportunities but an attractions of modern state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities like the one in Huntsville, Alabama is their innate ability to eliminate head count without negatively impacting production outputs.

Well I guess it's going to be a very long time before Remington returns my R51 pistol.

Since there is seldom a corporate move kept totally secret, this might be an explanation for the problems with the R51.

·
Vendor
1,764 Posts
It's too bad that Remington did not use the opportunity to let is slip that part of the reason they were leaving New York was because of their miserable anti-gun laws and the SAFE act. Even if it were not true, a jab at the anti-gun side of the equation is too goo to let go to waste.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
It's too bad that Remington did not use the opportunity to let is slip that part of the reason they were leaving New York was because of their miserable anti-gun laws and the SAFE act.
My thoughts exactly. I also don't understand why they are not just concentrating on moving out of anti-gun states like New York and leave the other states alone. I guess it comes down to efficient and cheap production more than politics, which is understandable, but still.

·
Vendor
1,764 Posts
I have looked at production costs for stuff in the US, and you typically have three components - raw materials, manpower, and equipment depreciation. For constant raw materials, and assuming US wage rates, if you get a highly automated plant (for instance - CNC), your equipment costs go up, but your manpower costs come down. An older plant with manual operations will cost more in manpower.

In the US I think we used average wage rates of $50k per year, so you can look at an operation x the number of people and calculate how much equipment you can justify if it replaces people, either because it runs faster, or it runs unattended, or it makes fewer mistakes, so your raw materials cost does not go up.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Huntsville. Home of the Redstone booster and the Saturn V.

The Saturn V, built in the 1960s, is the most powerful machine ever built.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts