FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was looking at the pics of the barrel removed and the reciever. With out the flash hider is the barrel still 16" ? I am thinking about choping the barrel or removing it in one piece. Also i seen in the pics your refinishing the reciever? I noticed the finish is a little rough on mine any way to inprove the finish?

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thescratchingpost said:
I was looking at the pics of the barrel removed and the reciever. With out the flash hider is the barrel still 16" ? I am thinking about choping the barrel or removing it in one piece. Also i seen in the pics your refinishing the reciever? I noticed the finish is a little rough on mine any way to inprove the finish?
The Barrel is 16". The reason the hider and shroud are there is so that the weapon meets 26" overall lenght.

I will post this info on the web page tonight. :)

TH

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thescratchingpost said:
I am thinking about choping the barrel or removing it in one piece. Also i seen in the pics your refinishing the reciever? I noticed the finish is a little rough on mine any way to inprove the finish?
Yes there is. I should have Project X up on the site soon, where I mill, drill and refinish the surface of the casting and describe the process.

It's a lot of work and you must be detail oriented, but it's not difficult at all and nothing to be afraid of.

It's about a 20hr project from start to finish.

TH

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thermallator said:
Yes there is. I should have Project X up on the site soon, where I mill, drill and refinish the surface of the casting and describe the process.

It's a lot of work and you must be detail oriented, but it's not difficult at all and nothing to be afraid of.

It's about a 20hr project from start to finish.

TH
This i want to see. And is there any chance you might offer this as a service!!!!! :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a little teaser images for you.

This one has the top rails milled off about 1/4" and the rear is slightly at a more angle to contour the reflext sight. Notice the sight is completely flush and the 1918 picattiny rail is inside the receiver.

This gives me the same height of sight as the factory reflex - but much better sight picture and options. I can choose between a donught, or a point or a cross hair at different levels.

This particual attempt is made so that a new reflex can be mounted while preserving the possibility of putting back the original.

Notice the absence of the casting reliefs.

This one is going to be an attempt at a PS90TR :D

All I have to do here is weld on a picattiny rail and it's a done deal. (oh, black teflon the surface ofcourse)

Whether or not I would do this depends on the interest. I would not do a onesie twosie - deal. Too much prep time and hassle. Now If I get a commission to do 10 of these, then ..... who knows :idea:

Course, you need to see the final product.

TH

·
Registered
4 Posts
WOW :lol: :shock:

That makes the casting look great. I am ready when ever you are lol. Defently want mine to look that smooth. Now just to see it finished :twisted:

·
Registered
8 Posts
WOW--Very nice pictures. That looks like it should have come that way from the factory. Quality finished products always look much better ,and show a pride in manufacturing . Quality always shows best for a company in the long run on manuf.

·
Registered
19 Posts
yes this is how it should have been finished.. To ask people to spend 1700+ dollars and give them rough casts is wrong.. more guns would sell if they would just take some time and add the aesthetic touchs

Thanks
smoke

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dagg'On'Boo man...I'm in. I'm surprised at FN's quality control on this item..."what's the price range gonna look like?
:twisted:

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
He discusses it on that Project X thread - it i a sticky at the top of the Modification section. Best I can offer until he comes back.

·
Administrator
11,360 Posts
Where can I find a new complete PS90 10.4" barreled upper receiver?
You can't because it is a Short Barreled Rifle in its complete form, at least the real FN ones.

You can buy a complete SBR but it will not be an FN type, but an after market type. You will need a tax stamp for this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts