FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a hard time taking the factury muzzle brake off. Anyone else had this problem before?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
No. I thought it was easy, 1 wrench on the jam nut another on the muzzle break. What's the trouble? I did have to buy a barrel vise for it though.

·
Registered
609 Posts
i removed the barrel put it in a set of wood barrel blocks clamped it tight then backed the nut off with a wrench. not a great idea to put torque on the reciever

·
Premium Member
9,504 Posts
I just did this the other day and did not even have to use a vice, just 2 wrenches and held the receiver between my knees. Try to arrange the wrenches so that you can hold both in one hand and "close" them together.
That's how I did mine. Lined up the wrenches, and squeezed them together...easy as pie. Now my 16...it was a *****.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
I just did this the other day and did not even have to use a vice, just 2 wrenches and held the receiver between my knees. Try to arrange the wrenches so that you can hold both in one hand and "close" them together.
This is the best way to do it, on anything that has jam nut. Or any time you have a nut and bolt to loosen. Not just firearms.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i removed the barrel put it in a set of wood barrel blocks clamped it tight then backed the nut off with a wrench. not a great idea to put torque on the reciever
If you do it the way OldSnake mentioned, there's no torque on the receiver. If there were, it would roll around in your lap. You are torquing the brake relative to the nut. I did just what OldSnake mentioned, and it also worked fine for me. I did, however, put masking tape over both because I was worried the wrenches might chip or smooth the finish.

·
Registered
609 Posts
sorry i didnt make it more clear. i meant to say clamp the reciever or having someone else hold it down or put it between legs or sit on the receiver or any combination of such.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you do it the way OldSnake mentioned, there's no torque on the receiver. If there were, it would roll around in your lap. You are torquing the brake relative to the nut. I did just what OldSnake mentioned, and it also worked fine for me. I did, however, put masking tape over both because I was worried the wrenches might chip or smooth the finish.
This is exactly what I did. It worked great. I was surprised how easy it was. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
173 Posts
does the brake loosen counter clockwise?

·
Premium Member
9,504 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
You don't need a vise for removal if using the method described above but you might want one when torquing on your new muzzle device since you are not using the nut.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts