FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be replacing my FNS9 factory sights with Trijicon HD sights. Has anybody removed their factory sights yet? I have a sight pusher, just looking for tips or anything to watch out for.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Careful of the spring for the firing pin block under the sight (I believe the FNS has one there like the FNX's). I'd also recommend getting some penetrating oil as the sights are on there pretty tight.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Curious, are you going to be keeping the night sights?

Sent from the land of teepee's and buffaloes
No, I will be selling them to offset the cost of the HD's.

I was hoping for more experience on this, my concern is snapping the front sight. Gun makers like to push em in with a 500 ton press..........cough....Kimber.......cough.......

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
If your selling them I'd be interested in buying I got a fns9 used and it has awful fiber optic sight on the front
Use the PM feature, this is not the section for buying or selling.

Reactions: Tarkus

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ive posted twice and been reprimanded twice I geuss I better straighten up and follow every single rule exactly as written wow sorry guys.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ive posted twice and been reprimanded twice I geuss I better straighten up and follow every single rule exactly as written wow sorry guys.
No need for sarcasm. The fact that you have already been warned should have been enough. Forums usually go to the crapper when everybody's info starts spilling into the threads.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Estimate on the hds was 8-10wks, its b een just ovet two months so hopefully ill have them soon. They will make an outstanding pistol even better.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Use brass punch on front. Universal sight tool on rear or brass punch. They remove left to right only. FN does not recommend to reinstall once they've been removed FYI. Go easy on night sights so you dont break tritium vile. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
Another FYI, using a brass punch will likely leave ding marks as such it will immediately void the warranty. Always use the proper tool when adjusting, removing and or installing tritium night sights. Although there are other tools available the P500 Sight Tool is reasonably priced and will work front and rear sights...

View attachment 27538

Use brass punch on front. Universal sight tool on rear or brass punch. They remove left to right only. FN does not recommend to reinstall once they've been removed FYI. Go easy on night sights so you dont break tritium vile. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have simply described described how I was trained in FN's factory armorers school... They advised no known sight tool exists that we can purchase to remove/add front sights. If someone knows of one chime in so we can get the word out. We were told one is being developed. As good as the FNS is its these little support items that FN needs to catch up on (or aftermarket tool makers need to fill that void). My universal rear sight tool will work on the back sight. Being a realist I know a lot of people will use a brass punch on both. Left to right only when removing and be careful.

SeaMac does bring up a good point on the downsides of punches hence my disclaimer to be careful. He also made me think of this point. If you have a lot of handguns you can justify universal sight tools. If you just have one or two I believe your money ahead having a gunsmith do it. They have more experience hopefully the right tools etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Another FYI, using a brass punch will likely leave ding marks as such it will immediately void the warranty. Always use the proper tool when adjusting, removing and or installing tritium night sights. Although there are other tools available the P500 Sight Tool is reasonably priced and will work front and rear sights...

View attachment 27538
WE WERE TOLD THE FRONT SIGHT WAS TO TALL FOR THIS TOOL AND A FEW OTHERS TO WORK. CAN YOU ADVISE IF YOU 'VE ACTUALLY BEEN ABLE TO GET IT TO WORK ON THE fns 40 AND 9. tHANKS IN ADVANCE. iT IS SUPPOSE TO WORK ON REAR.

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
I have been searching for a sight tool myself and have spoken to the owners at B&J Machine who informed me that yes the P500 Pro will work on the front sight. The P500 Pro is the only sight tool I've found that completely supports and clamps the slide. I also looked at the Maryland Gun Works Sight Pro tool, it cost a great deal more, requires manufacturer specific shoes and does not fully support the slide.

What I find interesting is the "left to right" removal, I have measured with a micrometer the front and rear dovetail and found no taper. The Trijicon HD's I have show no taper either. It would seem to me it doesn't matter which direction the sights are installed or removed. Clarification would be appreciated before I attempt to install my HD's.

As for the cost of a "personal" sight tool, yep, they're not cheap by any means then again no decent quality tool I know of is.

WE WERE TOLD THE FRONT SIGHT WAS TO TALL FOR THIS TOOL AND A FEW OTHERS TO WORK. CAN YOU ADVISE IF YOU 'VE ACTUALLY BEEN ABLE TO GET IT TO WORK ON THE fns 40 AND 9. tHANKS IN ADVANCE. iT IS SUPPOSE TO WORK ON REAR.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I emailed B and J as we did not talk about the pro tool only the cheaper standard. If it will work I'll order one and thankyou for bringing it to my attention. I'm waiting a response but sounds like you already got one. I rechecked my manual and it says left to right removal and it was stressed in class. I assumed it was tapered. If not then I'm scratching my head as to the why.

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
Both the standard and pro tool have their "pushing" frame hinged so height can be adjusted to accommodate varying sight heights. The Pro version comes with the slide clamp and end stop enabling you to firmly hold the slide in place and make repeatable adjustments without readjusting the tool itself. I spoke with Bill, he was very helpful. Good luck..

I emailed B and J as we did not talk about the pro tool only the cheaper standard. If it will work I'll order one and thankyou for bringing it to my attention. I'm waiting a response but sounds like you already got one. I rechecked my manual and it says left to right removal and it was stressed in class. I assumed it was tapered. If not then I'm scratching my head as to the why.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Holy crap, after just over 4mos my sights are finally shipping from the vendor. Looking forward to shooting these, but anxious about removing the front sight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts