FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...when I decided to rent the FNS 9 first. :) I went to the range deciding to rent guns I haven't shot yet, specifically the XDS 9. One of the RSO's showed it to me a couple weeks ago and it felt pretty good. Trigger was a bit stiff when I dry-fired it, though I've seen how some guns may not feel that good when dry-fired but feel fantastic when you actually put some rounds through them. I also never fired a Springfield XD series pistol up till yesterday so I figured I'd give the XDS a shot. But I went to the counter and saw they had the FN I decided on that first (never shot an FN pistol prior to yesterday either lol!). I picked it up and it felt PERFECT! As a lefty I loved how fully ambidextrous it was. I don't mind that there's a safety on it since it was easy to manipulate yet stayed out of my way during shooting. Speaking of which, the slide stop is in a good position for me. The slide not locking back after the last round has sometimes been an issue when shooting my Sig P320 and Walther PPQ. No such issue with the FN. As far as how well it shot, sorry for not taking a pic (very busy day at the range with military appreciation day) but I'm pretty sure those of you who have shot and love their FNS 9 can agree when I say that this gun's accuracy is TREMENDOUS! I only put the target at 7 yards while using a box of 50 rds (Federal 115 gr, brass) but this is seriously the first pistol that I've shot rapid fire with and put every round where I set the sights, basically right in the chest the whole time with a few head shots. Like I said I own the P320 and PPQ (M2). Those guns are incredibly accurate and I have lots of fun shooting them. While my favorite has been the P320, after shooting the FNS 9 and how everything about it seems perfect to me, I'd be a complete dummy to not add the FNS 9 to my lineup as it could very well take that spot from the P320!

For those of you wondering about the XDS, I did rent that after giving back the FNS (grudgingly lol!). I'm pretty sure people love it, think it's great etc. And they're right, it's a great gun. Springfield IMO makes great stuff and if yesterday was indicative of how the rest of the XD's perform then shooting-wise I definitely prefer them over Glocks (figured I'd say Glock since just about everyone uses them as a comparison lol!). Just like the FNS it proved fully reliable and capable of great accuracy though I was consistently more accurate with the FN. Though I have to admit I was spoiled and on such a high that shooting anything else (9mm-wise) would have paled in comparison to the FN.

So the FNS 9 gave me a bit of a dilemna lol! I planned on getting the HK VP9 next, to round out the "big 3" of the supposed newest polymer, striker-fired offerings from Sig, Walther and HK. The P320 and PPQ in my experience are big winners and since I have yet to shoot an HK (though the VP9 did feel beautiful when I held it!) I had my mind made up that it would be my next pistol. When I go to the gun shop/range next week, provided that they're still in stock, I guess I'll flip a coin to see whether the VP9 or FNS becomes part of my lineup. Though without question I definitely plan to have both at some point!

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Good to hear you like the FNS. The one I rented shot very well also. Had a really good trigger (not sure how many rounds through it, but the range was only 9 months old at the time, so it probably didn't have to many thousands of rounds through it)

·
Registered
418 Posts
The XDs in 9mm is my go to CCW pistol during warmer weather.Well made and accurate pistol and I much prefer it to the S&W shield.Shooting 115gr FMJ loads for practice I was pleasantly surprised to be able to put all rounds on a 10” steel target at 25 yards with a 3.3” barrel!

Sold a S&W M&P 40 to purchase an FNS9 and I could not be happier.I carry my FNS9 a lot during cooler weather under my coat and it performs well in that role.Otherwise it’s my standard range gun.I believe that the FNS9 is one of the most under rated striker fired pistols on the market today.I have been very pleased with its accuracy, reliability, and performance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'll admit FN to me has mostly been an afterthought only because certain other brands are often in the spotlight (some brands are in the spotlight TOO often lol!). I've read about how great FN products are and know guys who say it's their favorite brand, I can definitely see why. The only one I've used/owned before is the SLP MK1 (which I still have:) and it's just a fantastic shotgun. I'll always love Sigs but gotta get more FN's in the lineup!

USGILT the XDs felt great in my hand when I held it the first time and was deciding which 9mm I would get as my CCW. I ended up getting the Shield 9mm simply because I liked how the trigger felt over the XDs when I dry-fired them that day and that was my deciding factor. I did like the XDs' grip better. I'm pleased with the Shield as it has been very accurate for me, though I have a feeling if I went with the XDs I wouldn't have picked wrong. I'm really excited to pick up an FNS9 first chance I get!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Honestly, I liked the trigger better in the XDs and for me the Shield felt too small in the hand. Also, a least to me the XDs feels like a better constructed firearm when compared to the Shield.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts