FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum, need your options again.

So I have been shooting my Scar 16s for about 3 months now, it's my first rifle and it's the one I learned how to shoot on.

I have a Eotech EXPS 2-0 and the 3.3X magnifier mounted on it.

I can do just about 1-2 inch group at 100 yard at this point.

Now few things I thought that is affecting my accuracy beyond 100 yards, first, my 16s have a very heavy and long trigger pull, I tried to get used it but it was just hard for me to anticipate when will the gun fire, other people who used my gun says the same thing as the gun fire almost surprise them after the long pull. Anyway, geissele super scar trigger on the way now. I know that's a must.

For the scope thou, I know lots people here loves the Elcan, but what I want to know is that where and how does the Elcan will improve my shooting compare to what I have right now, that's like 1.1K investment after I sell my Eotech, what is the range limit on the Scar 16s? What kind of group will I get with a Elcan at 300 yards and beyond? Will the weight for the Elcan too heavy? Will I need a Elcan down the road anyway?

Again, your inputs are much appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Surprise trigger pull is a good thing...helps with anticipation.
It's more like will it go, will it go, will it go, will it...pong...there it goes, the anticipation time is hard to control when trying to do precision shooting.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey kanzy, the new trigger should help quite a bit. Most people who have gone that rout ( including myself twice) do not regret it for a minute. As for your optic the real big advantage the elcan holds over your current setup has to be field of view. In comparison the eotech feels like your looking through the eye of a needle. It really is a huge difference when it comes to that. The elcan also has considerably clearer and brighter glass. The weight of both setups are probably pretty close so I wouldn't worry about the weight. Head shots at 3-400m are not a problem. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey kanzy, the new trigger should help quite a bit. Most people who have gone that rout ( including myself twice) do not regret it for a minute. As for your optic the real big advantage the elcan holds over your current setup has to be field of view. In comparison the eotech feels like your looking through the eye of a needle. It really is a huge difference when it comes to that. The elcan also has considerably clearer and brighter glass. The weight of both setups are probably pretty close so I wouldn't worry about the weight. Head shots at 3-400m are not a problem. Hope that helps.
Thank you for the great advice, so again trigger is a must, on the other hand, Elcan would be much better to look through but won't make shooting much more accurate than my Eotech, did I get it right?

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
What ammo are you running? +1 on what people are saying about difference good trigger makes.

Have you considered the Trijicon TA33. It weights about 1/3 of Elcan and more than half of your EOtech setup. It has just as long as eye relief as Elcan (if not longer). Not to mention it's more durable/reliable (less part than Elcan) and considerably cheaper (you can get two for the price of one Elcan).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What ammo are you running? +1 on what people are saying about difference good trigger makes.

Have you considered the Trijicon TA33. It weights about 1/3 of Elcan and more than half of your EOtech setup. It has just as long as eye relief as Elcan (if not longer). Not to mention it's more durable/reliable (less part than Elcan) and considerably cheaper (you can get two for the price of one Elcan).
I am running 55 FML from freedom and Geco at the moment, the thing with a ACOG I don't like it's the fact that it's always magnified, I can get a RMR but it's too high off the rail and added cost :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thank you for the great advice, so again trigger is a must, on the other hand, Elcan would be much better to look through but won't make shooting much more accurate than my Eotech, did I get it right?
Pretty much correct however the elcan does provide a little more magnification and you may be surprised by just how much more you can see clearly which can easily equate to improved accuracy. I also have an eotech setup with the g33 magnifier on my m4. Its currently collecting dust in my safe and there it will remain.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Elcan will have to wait at this point anyway thou, took my dog to the vet this morning for vaccination and discovered the growth on his right paw from last year is getting worse (was treated and better), the doctor told me possibility for bone cancer (ruled out after X-day) or tumor, they will surgically remove it then send it for exam.

Out of all that, I need to take care of that bill first.

But again thank you all for the great inputs, keep them coming as I need them in the near future.

Here is a picture of the guy ruing my plan

11193379_10155505202595434_1844355421182760010_n.jpg

·
Registered
231 Posts
Man sorry to hear that . he looks like a loyal companion and I'm going through a similar ordeal with one of mine (12 tumors removed in the last 18 months). Hope everything works out .

·
Registered
600 Posts
Elcan will have to wait at this point anyway thou, took my dog to the vet this morning for vaccination and discovered the growth on his right paw from last year is getting worse (was treated and better), the doctor told me possibility for bone cancer (ruled out after X-day) or tumor, they will surgically remove it then send it for exam.

Out of all that, I need to take care of that bill first.

But again thank you all for the great inputs, keep them coming as I need them in the near future.

Here is a picture of the guy ruing my plan

View attachment 37528
Man's best friend that's for sure. Take care of your buddy first the scopes will be there when you get ready to buy. I've recently read that alot of canines are getting different types of cancer these days from the water we drink with the chemicals in it, probably people too. The fact that canines age so much faster than humans makes sense that they would show the signs of cancer faster than humans. They say you should give them purified water to drink instead of tap water.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I am running 55 FML from freedom and Geco at the moment, the thing with a ACOG I don't like it's the fact that it's always magnified, I can get a RMR but it's too high off the rail and added cost :)
You can always mount a rmr or an aimpoint on an offset if you want it closer to the bore axis. That option will still be cheaper and lighter than an Elcan.

It really depends on what you want the gun for. For range and distance shooting, variable zoom optics make sense but you'd be better off with a traditional rifle scope. For SD/HD, you would want something simple, a rifle you can pick up and shoot consistently instead of needing to fidget with before engaging. I can't think how many times I look through a scope then having to adjust the zoom for what I'm shooting at. Plus there's a good reason why keeping things simple is one of the core tenets in the military. I guess I just don't see where Elcan fit between those two roles, especially when plenty of cheaper (and more appropriate) alternatives out there.

Reactions: kanzy

·
Registered
196 Posts
A flip front lens cover will turn it into a 1x red dot. Flip down the cap and your right eye only picks up the illuminated reticle - your left eye supplies the target/surroundings. Check out some videos of it, quite nifty actually.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man sorry to hear that . he looks like a loyal companion and I'm going through a similar ordeal with one of mine (12 tumors removed in the last 18 months). Hope everything works out .
My dog just turned 2 years old on April 2nd, this is the last thing I expect :sad:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Trigger will definitely help. Before you jump into the Elcan buy or borrow a decent 3x9 scope with a quick detach mount and some 77 gr otm ammo. You will be sub moa. Theres nothing wrong with a dual setup, and I own an Elcan. It's just difficult to beat a higher power scope for accuracy at distance, it's all a trade off of speed vs precision.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What about a trijicon tr25? Seems reasonable priced and has 6X. Would it benefit for what I do with my 16s?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts