FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought my 16S came with a 16 inch barrel, but when I see suppliers like Stryker offering barrels it seems to be only a 14 inch barrel is available.

I read some threads saying that all or almost all of the available muzzle breaks when attached to the 14 inch barrel will come up a tad short of the federal 16 inch barrel requirement so you need to do an SBR.

I called FNH asking to buy a replacement barrel just like the one that came with the 16S and they told me that the would not sell me a barrel. They said that the only way I could get a new barrel would be to send the rifle in to them for the barrel swap. They suggested Stryker as a third party supplier.

I did not get to discuss the 14 inch versus 16 inch barrel length specifically with FNH, but I came away with the impression that if I sent it in I would get a 16 inch barrel.

My 16S was bought used and the previous owner had cut the barrel so with the muzzle break attached it was the bare minimum length. The break is pinned. I have already shot 6000 rounds and it looks like the previous owner did a fair amount of shooting as well, so between wearing out the barrel and not liking the fact that the chrome was cut I would like to have a new barrel on hand for the eventual swap.

So, is there such a thing as a 16 inch barrel? If so, why does it seem that people only offer the 14 inch barrel?

Thanks.

Joe

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
Correct. I was getting the 16" units on occasion but it's been a long while since I've received any and do not have an ETA. May try the for sale section at the bottom of the main page.

-SS

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've heard that the 14" barrel with the ecp flash hider if pinned and welded will equal to 16". Anyone know if that is a fact or fantasy?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts