FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the mistake of buying the O.D green PS90, after i picked it up i wanted the black one, dont know why...just like the looks of it, i could spray paint it but i think that would be too cheap and tacky, is there any company out there that sells just the lower reciever/plastic stock in black? If there is someone out there who wants to trade there black stock for a O.D green one ,please reply, thanks guys. :cool:

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
There are places that will dye your green stock black.

When the PS90 first came out, it was ONLY available in green. There was a small market for dying the stocks black, and a few vendors started to do that (places have been dying green HK stocks black for years).

I don't remember all the places that would do this - but there was a vendor advertising his business on Gunbroker. You would basically buy is dying package on Gunbroker. Then, you'd contact him and make arrangements to ship the stock.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have absolutely no information as to whether this would work but when I purchased my PS90 I told the salesman I was happy he had one in black because I didn't want green. He told me several of his customers who bought the early green models used black RIT dye with excellent results. I don't know what the process consisted of but you may be able to find someone out there who has done it.

Kind of an expensive experiment though if it doesn't come out right...

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Yes, I have seen some people do this - however, if U do not do it right, it can come out splotchy or even purplish. Apparently U have to add a little green die to the black in a certain ratio.

I'd just pay and do it right, or get it duracoated, if I were U.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Look above and you will see HDPS, they can dye the stock black. Click on their site and you will see they also sell all kinds of cool stuff :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
What is a stock worth? I have an extra OD Green one. I saw one on GB for 399.99 ... is that about right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't see why anyone would pay to have the stock dyed. It's SO EASY to do!

Just buy a cheap cooler (try the local penny paper), fill with boiling water, 4 bottles black RIT dye, 1/2 bottle green, then put in your stock- flip/stir every 45minutes for 4 hours. You will be amazed how long the cooler keeps the water hot.

And make sure you clean ALL the grease from your stock first- mine turned out great!

-Dave

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I've seen some stories of purple guns coming out - or even with the green, they can come out splotcyhy.

Personally, for a $1500 gun, I'M not gonna do it myself.

·
Registered
214 Posts
saki302 said:
I don't see why anyone would pay to have the stock dyed. It's SO EASY to do!

Just buy a cheap cooler (try the local penny paper), fill with boiling water, 4 bottles black RIT dye, 1/2 bottle green, then put in your stock- flip/stir every 45minutes for 4 hours. You will be amazed how long the cooler keeps the water hot.

And make sure you clean ALL the grease from your stock first- mine turned out great!

-Dave
I've done it about 6 or 7 times successfully. Just needs to be rinsed very thoroughly afterwards or else it appears to have the color issues. We just used an old dishwasher on a full wash cycle and no detergent. Worked great!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have dyed 2 PS90's for friends and my own gun as well, it was very easy with better than pro results! :shock: The prep is everything, degrease with hot soapy water followed by an alcohol bath then drop it "the stock" in the dye for 4 hours turning every hour. Do add the green dye to avoid the purple hue with the 4 bottles of black dye to boiling water "about 180 degrees" in the cooler and keep the cooler lid shut! 8) I only put in enough water and all of the dye to cover the gun because I added more boiling water half way through to keep the temp up as well. When the time is up rinse the stock off with soapy water and then WD40 to displace the water, then wipe down the stock with lots of paper towels and you are done! One more thing, wear rubber gloves the black dont come off your hands, it wears off! If you have a large turkey cooker that works well too, just degrease!!! Directions on "how to" are on this forum so check it out, if you feel your results are sub standard you are only out $10-15 bucks and you can still send your stock to a pro. As for the cooler you dyed black it still has a great use, no one wants beer out of the ichy black cooler " they think its mold " he he he...... :?

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
If you guys used the search function, you would notice this:

http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=13

IF you want to get to the source with pictures, you may go to our other forum here:

http://ps90forum.com/Black.html

I have developed the process about 3 years ago when dealing with HK USC to UMP conversions.

So if you see reposts of the process, it's likely a copy of what I did.

Anyone ca do it, and it will come out 100%, IF YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Cheers,

-TH

1 - 12 of 12 Posts