FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if replacement slides are available? If so without the barrell or does the barrell have to be matched to the slide? I have a FN 40
that I just got back from having the cracked hammer group fixed. Went to the range tonight and on about the third or fourth magazine I released the slide and it went sailing. Somehow the takedown lever got flipped down. Didn't even set the gun down just dropped the empty mag and picked up a loaded one. Not saying I didn't hit the lever on accident but any ideas on what else could have caused this. Is letting the slide slam foward with rounds in the gun a bad idea. I don't usually do it that way and especially
won't now that this has happened. Anyway the slide hit the floor and is bent in on the rear where it straddles the rail. I bent it back out and measured it with calipers for straightness and seems to operate fine but
haven't fired it yet. What do you guys recommend that I do?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Send it back yet again, telling FN that the gun spontaneously disassembled itself during firing. A new slide (if you can get them to sell it to you) is going to cost about 3/4 the cost of a new pistol.

That's what I'd do anyway.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Call Bob (his number is all over this forum) and explain the situation and they should take care of you.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
While we're on this subject, in my concealed permit class the instructor mentioned that it's better to grasp and gently pull back on the slide with your non shooting hand, releasing the slide, rather than pushing down on the slide release lever with the thumb. I hadn't considered that technique before, and it seems to be less harsh on the weapon. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Most people will say something to the effect of this:

In a high stress situation, your fine motor skills decrease - its a side effect of the adrenaline. Fine motor skills, in this case, are your fingers reaching for a relatively small lever. So, most recommend using the slingshot method (grabbing the slide with the weak hand, pulling it back, and releasing it to drop the slide).

Will using the slide catch/release/stop lever cause more wear? Yes, just a bit on the slide's notch and the part of the lever that interacts with the slide. Will it affect the function of the gun? Probably not during the lifetime of the gun. Will practicing using the catch/release/stop lever adversely affect your ability to reload during a high stress situation? Couldn't tell you, I haven't heard enough stories where the shooter had to reload. Which is better to practice? Both, no reason to be left w/o a backup plan.

Drew

·
Registered
15 Posts
Aside from the deterioration of fine motor skills mentioned above, slingshotting the slide more closely replicates what the gun does to load subsequent rounds. Also, this is very close to what you would do to clear most of the feed malfunctions you are most likely to encounter during "the real thing."

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes, contact FN.

As stated above... Buying a new slide would cost a fortune. If they would even sell you just the slide...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help guys. Called Bob today. They are going to take care of me. I can't believe the level that their customer support is at. I will never hesitate to buy FNH or recommend them to others.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts