FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace the 32 lb. hammer spring in my pistol with a 28 lb. I heard that replacing this spring is a PITA.

Any advice that might help is appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A fork! get one that has narrow tines this will help. Slip it over the strut in between the springs. A vise and having a third arm also helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have done it a few times and yes it is difficult. If you have someone to help you it would be easier. Mainly to hold things as you try and put the cap on the new spring. Also if you are going through all of the hassle to change springs you should put the 26 lb one in. I am using the 24 lb and have no problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use a pair of bolt cutters on a vinyl floor. The vinyl floor is tacky enough so the whole apparatus won't slip while I pin it all down with my knee to free up my hands. It's a very crud method, and I have bent struts before. I also took a few hours and made a jig, which works better. The jig has two lag bolts, notched metal platform, and wing nuts to screw down and put compression on the spring. I wish I could think of a better way. (I too am thinking of going back to #26lb, and shooting standard pressure.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts