FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WASHINGTON — The Pentagon plans to destroy more than $1 billion worth of ammunition although some of those bullets and missiles could still be used by troops, according to the Pentagon and congressional sources.
It's impossible to know what portion of the arsenal slated for destruction — valued at $1.2 billion by the Pentagon — remains viable because the Defense Department's inventory systems can't share data effectively, according to a Government Accountability Office report obtained by USA TODAY.
The result: potential waste of unknown value.
"There is a huge opportunity to save millions, if not billions of dollars if the (Pentagon) can make some common-sense improvements to how it manages ammunition," said Sen. Tom Carper, D-Del., and chairman of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee. "Despite years of effort, the Army, Navy and Air Force still don't have an efficient process for doing something as basic as sharing excess bullets. This Government Accountability Office (GAO) report clearly shows that our military's antiquated systems lead to millions of dollars in wasteful ammunition purchases."

Report: Pentagon to destroy $1B in ammunition

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
And they think they need more tax money! Sell it off and pay down the debt or stop buying new ammo to give to to our future adversaries.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Imagine if we hand a president that stopped wasting time on stupid crap that doesn't work and instead said....."This 4th of July celebration we are going to put on a billion dollar show!" Ahhhh....That or they should just put in a big pile Chicago and light the fuse. (Disclaimer everyone would be evacuated...blah blah blah)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Excellent idea! I get all the XM193!

Reactions: cap10

·
Registered
605 Posts
Apparently no one commenting here understands Government jargon.

When they willingly and openly state they intend to destroy 1 Billion Rounds of Ammo, what they REALLY MEAN is they'll be shipping all of it to the Ukraine.

Nothing is as it seems, especially when Government publicly states something they didn't need to disclose in the first place.

vfin

·
Registered
876 Posts
You guy's are right! If the government is going to give away housing, food, medicine, cell phones, internet access, on and on. Why the FUAK can't they setup a ammo welfare program. I can't afford 5.56 right now....I need a 1000rds a month because I don't get ammo support!

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I agree completely; it was just recently during the great ammo shortage of 2K12 & 2K13 they announced a billion $$$ budget purchase for new ammo. It's a conspiracy I tell you just to drive up the ammo $$$$! I don't won't their damn ammo, none of it-I'll pay twice as much before I take one more thing from these fools! I need to make my own but I digress.....

Too ironic that the government contract for ammo expired fairly recently, they just buying it to destroy it I wonder...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
And they think they need more tax money! Sell it off and pay down the debt or stop buying new ammo to give to to our future adversaries.
Pay down debt? That makes sense...

Figure how many billions in a trillion and realize, that would be the proverbial drop in the bucket.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Pay down debt? That makes sense...

Figure how many billions in a trillion and realize, that would be the proverbial drop in the bucket.
Easy low payments... for our grandchildren?

We need to start someplace.

·
Registered
548 Posts
This is my favorite part:

The report illustrates the obsolete nature of the Pentagon's inventory systems for ammunition. A request for ammunition from the Marine Corps, for example, is e-mailed to the Army. The e-mail is printed out and manually retyped into the Army system because the services cannot share data directly. Not only is this time consuming, but it can introduce errors — by an incorrect keystroke, for example.

I was thinking theft also.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
.GOV won't sell MRE's anymore to civi's, so what makes you think they will sell ammo to civi's???

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'll take whatever they don't want, beggers ain't choosers! On second thought, we paid for it already anyway!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts