FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may know this weapon originally was marketed as a Winchester 2X practical tactical. It is my understanding that they have always been manufactured by FNH.

I wanted a shotgun that I could use for hunting, shooting clays, having fun and Home defense. I currently own an O/U 12 gauge though it is very good for the first two roles it lacks a little in terms of having fun and HD. I initially planned to buy a Remington 870 or a Mossberg. But after looking at them a lot I just found that they did not fit for me well and I found I did not like the pump action very much.

I considered the FNH SLP however I found the design to be too radical and it only hold 6 shells in the tube. Though it might be good for home defense I thought it might look a little odd in the hunting and busting clays roles.

The SLP Mark I is a semi auto gas operated 12 gauge shotgun. It fires up to 3" magnum shells. When loaded with 2 3/4 shell it hold 8+1+1 shells. Because it is a gas operated I had some concern that it would not cycle low powered loads well. To address this issue FNH supplies this weapon with two gas settings. One gas valve for light loads, under 1.5 oz, and for heavy loads, above 1.5 oz.

It comes with two chokes a improved cylinder and modified. It has a fiber optic front sight and a rear flip up sight that looks a lot like the rear sight on a Ruger 10/22. It also comes equipped with a cantilevered sight rail. The sight rail has a grove down the middle that allows a very wide angle sight picture when the rear sight is flipped down. With the rear sight flipped down the groove in the sight rail serves the same function as a ribbed barrel. With the rear sight up it allows for some very precise (relative) aiming.

Since the weapon came with a sight rail I opted to mount a Ultra Dot L/T. This wonderful sight deserves it own thread. I can not say enough good things about it. It is small, has a very nice clear dot, it automatically adjust for light conditions. Though it is small it appears to be very rugged and well made. As a bonus you can change the battery in it without unmounting it.

Back to the SLP Mark I

I shot the Mark I with my the following loads

Remington 2 3/4"- 1 oz of 8 bird shot. All cycled well and I busted clays with these without problem.

Federal 2 3/4"- 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 bird shot. All cycled well and I busted clays with these with out any problem.

I then shot 3"- 1.5oz of BB bird shot. All cycled well this kicked harder than the lighter loads.

I then switched over to the heavier gas valve.
Then I shot 00 and #1 and then #4.

Wow that really blows stuff up. I busted up 10 gallons of water and it was a lot of fun.

The gas recoil is much milder than my O/U. My shoulder does hurt a bit today. That is more my fault than the Shotgun. Also I might mention that it is amazing thing to fire off 10 shells in less than 5 seconds.

A range report on slug accuracy will follow.

Final note. I bought the Mark I from Tanners Sport Center for 719 shipped to my FFL. This is my 4 purchase from Tanners. Ray is a great guy and will do you right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Beautiful pictures!

I LOVE my MkI.

I have the SLP short, and while I love the shotgun, I don't care as much for the oversize sights (TALL front and removable rear).

If the SLP short came with the SLP MKI sights, I would be ecstatic! :D

Thanks again for the great photos!

John

·
Registered
94 Posts
Great photos and review!

Beautiful photos and it sounds like you had a blast (literally). I really like my Mk1 too. I got mine from CDNN. The folks at Tanners are great. I got an FS2K and a PS90 from them. I'd have gone with Tanners on the Mk1 had I known their prices. I found out right after I posted my order at CDNN. I did end up getting a cheap o electronic sight and a few other nick-nacks though.

I haven't had my Mk1 to the range as of yet but it's built like a tank. Gotta love FNs!

·
Registered
5 Posts
While the SLP is built well, a tank it is not. The piston sleeve that contains the operating rod is made from plastic, consequently it is the weak link in the gas system. I imagine this was done to lower the mass of the operating system and decrease cycling times. While this is great for that reason, it may cause some reliability problems with increasing age and usage. Don't get me wrong, I love my SLP, but wonder why they had to cheapen it with this plastic part.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rat-30 said:

If the SLP short came with the SLP MKI sights, I would be ecstatic! :D

John

John,

I'm in complete agreement. I have the mark-I as i hate ghost ring sites. I am however, wishing the barrel was shorter so now I am in the process of trying to get the barrel cut to 18 in, re-threaded for chokes, and the fiber optic site re-attached.

I do love the shotgun but that is my only complaint. If you could configure the SLP 18" model with the sights and rail system (1913 or cantilever weaver mount) that you wanted, it would be much more user friendly.

Overall, great shotgun. I just have to get some after market work done to make it what I really want.

Love the forum guys.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
texasaggie said:
While the SLP is built well, a tank it is not. The piston sleeve that contains the operating rod is made from plastic, consequently it is the weak link in the gas system... Don't get me wrong, I love my SLP, but wonder why they had to cheapen it with this plastic part.
I am not a material scientist however I am a chemist and I have studied plastics some.

I think for this function a plastic is well suited to the loads that it will experience. Many plastic function wrll in the kind of load that the piston sleave will experience (compression). I will imagine it can handle the compressive forces very well.

It can act as a shock absorber compressing and then returning to it orginal shape through many cycles.

This is all just armchair chemistry. With out knowing the properties of this particular plastic I am just guessing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts