1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Nice Objective review there.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Wow, that's a very nice review - super thorough! My brother just got a Glock 23 .40, and I have been debating between the FNS-9 or 40. I think I'll buy a .40 and go toe to toe with my brother to show him up. ;) :shock:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Very nice review!

Here is an open question though. Why are striker fired guns so preferred over hammer fired?
For all intense and purposes, most of us guys who train and conceal carry regularly will never be pushed or push our guns the limit where one mode will actually be stand out over the other. So whats the mystic of the striker?

Opinions?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im worried that the recoil of the .40 would be a bit harder to manage as this pistol is lightweight. I think the FNS9 recoil is very similar to a glock 19 with a dual recoil spring assembly found in a gen 4. The recoil in a glock 23 i feel is fairly high so I would be interested to shoot the FNS40 to compare.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can't believe it!! This guy actually buried his gun. This is the absolute very first time I've seen anyone do any sort of torture test on an FN. Bravo!! I'd like to see more courageous guys do more real world tests to see how well the any of the FN's stand up.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I can't believe it!! This guy actually buried his gun. This is the absolute very first time I've seen anyone do any sort of torture test on an FN. Bravo!! I'd like to see more courageous guys do more real world tests to see how well the any of the FN's stand up.
I can believe it...wasn't HIS gun! :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got my FNS-40 Monday. I love it. The recoil is quite manageable. My only complaint is that it came with only two backstraps (straight and curved) with the aggressive checkering. It did not have 4 including the kind with lines like the FNX comes with. Overall, a great sidearm. The trigger breaks cleanly and the reset is easy to feel. I had 5 shot groups touching at 7 yards once I got used to the trigger feel. I like it better than my FNX-40 (which has been traded.) I highly recommend it. I was lucky to find it and get it in as they are out of stock almost anywhere you look online. The guys at the range/shop were all over it once they saw it. They liked it quite a bit as well (I let them each have a go.) I should also mention that the mags are exactly the same as the FNX-40 mags (.40 S&W/.357 Sig).

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Just got my FNS-40 Monday. I love it. The recoil is quite manageable. My only complaint is that it came with only two backstraps (straight and curved) with the aggressive checkering. It did not have 4 including the kind with lines like the FNX comes with. Overall, a great sidearm. The trigger breaks cleanly and the reset is easy to feel. I had 5 shot groups touching at 7 yards once I got used to the trigger feel. I like it better than my FNX-40 (which has been traded.) I highly recommend it. I was lucky to find it and get it in as they are out of stock almost anywhere you look online. The guys at the range/shop were all over it once they saw it. They liked it quite a bit as well (I let them each have a go.) I should also mention that the mags are exactly the same as the FNX-40 mags (.40 S&W/.357 Sig).
Can you fit an FNX backstrap on the FNS, or did they redesign the way they lock into the frame?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I certainly hope so. I prefer the serrated backstrap on my FNX, which apparently does not come with the FNS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you fit an FNX backstrap on the FNS, or did they redesign the way they lock into the frame?
It certainly looks like the same design although I did not try it and the FNX is gone. I will try it at the gun shop and report back. I can say that the fit on the FNS backstrap is much tighter than the FNX which is a good thing. The serrated (that's the word I was looking for) backstrap was my preference so maybe I can call FN and see if they will send me one.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It certainly looks like the same design although I did not try it and the FNX is gone. I will try it at the gun shop and report back. I can say that the fit on the FNS backstrap is much tighter than the FNX which is a good thing. The serrated (that's the word I was looking for) backstrap was my preference so maybe I can call FN and see if they will send me one.
I'll be shooting the FNS 40 of a friend next week (hope he knows I'm bringing 500rnds!), and I'll be able to directly compare it to a G23 w/3.5lb connector and the XDm. Will give my thoughts at that time.

Will also have my FNX with me, so I can check the backstrap interchangeability, as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did call FN USA but the phone support folks did not know very much about the FNS at all. They did tell me that it does only come with the two back straps, according to their catalog. I hope to try the FNX back straps this weekend to see if they do fit. I did get a chance to put another 50 rounds through it and at 300 rounds it has been flawless. I really do like the trigger a lot. It is entirely predictable every time. At least for me, it allows for very consistent groupings. If only it could make the shooter's aim as consistent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts