FN Herstal Firearms banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, let me state I have NO relationship with the manufacturer of this product. I bought it at retail from the manufacturer's website.
All opinions are my own based on my needs and experiences. I have a lot of experience building and modifying firearms.

The product arrived promptly and in perfect condition.
There were no directions included.
An A2 style pistol grip was included and factory mounted on the lower.
I decided to start with a complete factory assembly.
I test fit all factory pins and found zero issues.
Assembly went well with no problems.
Trigger , safety, and all functions tested perfectly.
I used only 20 round Pmags for my testing.
Both original and new G3 mags were tested and dropped free.
With the mag inserted, there was some drag noted on the bolt catch release, but it did work.
This was caused by the offset design of the bolt catch release.
It was dragging slightly inside the magazine follower channel.
I decided to first test it as is with no mods.
The original Pmag follower sits slightly higher in the magazine than the G3
A slight raising of the catch was noted on the original design with one round in the mag, but not enough to cause an issue.
The G3 mag showed no raising of the catch with one round in the mag.

I installed the lower on a used black 17 I purchased with 200 rounds down the tube.
On assembly, the front pin was tight pushing it in or removing. A slight more than factory hand tight, but no big hammer needed :).
I think it will wear in fine.

I Hand function tested everything once installed and all passed with flying colors.
Ready to hit the range !
I shot 20 rounds of de-linked surplus 83 Port. through the original LR pmag.
Ran perfectly, held the bolt open, and dropped free.

At this point, I decided I was going to eliminate the slight bolt catch drag.
This is an issue with all current production PMAG lowers due to the offset catch FN design verses the center follower PMag design.
I analysed the issue, disassembled the lower, removed the bolt catch.
I removed .030 off the left side of the catch leg where it drops inside the mag. (Viewed from the rear)
I did not remove anything on the leg depth because it was functioning perfectly with both generation Pmags as is.

Next few backyard range trips showed 100 percent function with several mags and types of ammo.
I now have 120 rounds through it and I am very satisfied with the function of this product.
I am going to install an aftermarket trigger. My factory is at 8 lbs and doesn't help my accuracy :)

A few slight negatives IMHO :
Many of the edges are sharper than I would prefer.
A larger chamfer or radius on some edges would be nice.
An instruction sheet would be nice for assembly for those not experienced

A few pluses:
It has a nice finish and was in stock and shipped promptly.
It works as designed with no lower mods needed. (I did the bolt catch mod to suit ME and I would recommend it)
A grip was included.
cav2.JPG cav3.JPG cav4.JPG cav5.JPG cav1.JPG
I have included a few pics
I have a few other manufacturer PMag lowers ordered or inbound.
Interested to see how they stack up.
I hope this was a help to someone out there

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Thanks for your review Grinder:? I applaud any company that has the balls to produce GOOD products for the SCAR system. I hope it outlasts the rest of your rifle.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for the review. Please keep us posted as you get more rounds thru it.
Like to see if any quirks develop, and your impressions in the long run.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Nice review and I can see what you mean about there being some sharp edges that should have been taken care of. Other than that it looks pretty nice.

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
First off, let me state I have NO relationship with the manufacturer of this product. I bought it at retail from the manufacturer's website.
All opinions are my own based on my needs and experiences. I have a lot of experience building and modifying firearms.

The product arrived promptly and in perfect condition.
There were no directions included.
An A2 style pistol grip was included and factory mounted on the lower.
I decided to start with a complete factory assembly.
I test fit all factory pins and found zero issues.
Assembly went well with no problems.
Trigger , safety, and all functions tested perfectly.
I used only 20 round Pmags for my testing.
Both original and new G3 mags were tested and dropped free.
With the mag inserted, there was some drag noted on the bolt catch release, but it did work.
This was caused by the offset design of the bolt catch release.
It was dragging slightly inside the magazine follower channel.
I decided to first test it as is with no mods.
The original Pmag follower sits slightly higher in the magazine than the G3
A slight raising of the catch was noted on the original design with one round in the mag, but not enough to cause an issue.
The G3 mag showed no raising of the catch with one round in the mag.

I installed the lower on a used black 17 I purchased with 200 rounds down the tube.
On assembly, the front pin was tight pushing it in or removing. A slight more than factory hand tight, but no big hammer needed :).
I think it will wear in fine.

I Hand function tested everything once installed and all passed with flying colors.
Ready to hit the range !
I shot 20 rounds of de-linked surplus 83 Port. through the original LR pmag.
Ran perfectly, held the bolt open, and dropped free.

At this point, I decided I was going to eliminate the slight bolt catch drag.
This is an issue with all current production PMAG lowers due to the offset catch FN design verses the center follower PMag design.
I analysed the issue, disassembled the lower, removed the bolt catch.
I removed .030 off the left side of the catch leg where it drops inside the mag. (Viewed from the rear)
I did not remove anything on the leg depth because it was functioning perfectly with both generation Pmags as is.

Next few backyard range trips showed 100 percent function with several mags and types of ammo.
I now have 120 rounds through it and I am very satisfied with the function of this product.
I am going to install an aftermarket trigger. My factory is at 8 lbs and doesn't help my accuracy :)

A few slight negatives IMHO :
Many of the edges are sharper than I would prefer.
A larger chamfer or radius on some edges would be nice.
An instruction sheet would be nice for assembly for those not experienced

A few pluses:
It has a nice finish and was in stock and shipped promptly.
It works as designed with no lower mods needed. (I did the bolt catch mod to suit ME and I would recommend it)
A grip was included.
View attachment 28587 View attachment 28588 View attachment 28589 View attachment 28590 View attachment 28586
I have included a few pics
I have a few other manufacturer PMag lowers ordered or inbound.
Interested to see how they stack up.
I hope this was a help to someone out there
Grinder,

Check the right side locking plate for proper orientation. It appears to be installed incorrectly. The rear of the plate looks to be off the selector lever's retaining groove. Not sure if it's bent or damaged, and if it's damaged, I have them in stock if you need a replacement.

-SS

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
Never mind checking the locking plate. Do this instead...

Apply pressure to the left side of the hammer drive spring support pin and see if it shifts to the ejection port side far enough to where the major diameter is no longer supported by the left side wall of the module.

If it does, you have a call to make...

-SS

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Any particular reason why?
Judging from the amount of pre-release info he made available here and his existing products and services, I'd guess it's any of the following:
-SEAL is better designed and engineered; little things like reinforced ribs along the body, integrated QD points, flared mag well, AR styled grip etc demonstrate that more thoughts have been put into it to really improve upon the oem lower rather than just a copy with slight modification to accept AR10 mags in aluminum
-better quality; the EACH and SOAMR are well made and even the anodizing matches the upper very closely
-more option; sarge already promised different options like one that accepts oem mags; hell it even come in FDE which is already more than you can say for cav arms lowers
-better tested; sarge mentioned that SEAL was going through testing compatibility with the geissele SS; we recently saw him testing the new magpul SRLR 25 rounder
-better supported; does the cav arms owner have 25k posts on this forum? Lol

Granted even with a solid plan and promising design, it's no guaranteed that SEAL will be better than the existing lowers available on the market currently. It might even turn out to be utter crap, in which case I'm sure we'll hear all about it here. BUT looking at sarge's track record I'd say it's a pretty good bet that he has a product that will blow the others out of the water. My guess is once SEAL is released, you'll see a lot of used Handl and CA lowers for sale in the classified section.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Never mind checking the locking plate. Do this instead...

Apply pressure to the left side of the hammer drive spring support pin and see if it shifts to the ejection port side far enough to where the major diameter is no longer supported by the left side wall of the module.

If it does, you have a call to make...

-SS
Jim,
the "problem" is the inside of the trigger housing is machined to approximately 1.000.
As you know, the factory dimension (including the raised area around the inside pin hole) is approx .920
This is allowing the pin to move back and forth inside the lower even though it is installed correctly.

When I took the pic, it was shifted a little.

It works fine at this point and doesn't fall out.
I might get a washer for the small right diameter to cut down on the shifting
Or I may run it as built to see what happens

Bought a cheap Handl on GB to play with too
That should be a real treat :)
What can I say, I love to tinker with guns.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
does the cav arms owner have 25k posts on this forum? Lol
And this has what to do with anything ?
We all are looking forward to the SEAL, I have 2 ordered.
Some of us like to play with and modify firearms as a hobby. For me, 40+ years.
If that is above your pay grade, fine, but leave the personal insults out.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
And this has what to do with anything ?
We all are looking forward to the SEAL, I have 2 ordered.
Some of us like to play with and modify firearms as a hobby. For me, 40+ years.
If that is above your pay grade, fine, but leave the personal insults out.
what personal insult are you talking about? How am I insulting anyone personally by discussing the product? If anything I was poking fun of the sarge's post whoring. And I thought you said you have no affiliation with the company? Why so defensive?

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
Jim,
the "problem" is the inside of the trigger housing is machined to approximately 1.000.
As you know, the factory dimension (including the raised area around the inside pin hole) is approx .920
This is allowing the pin to move back and forth inside the lower even though it is installed correctly.

When I took the pic, it was shifted a little.

It works fine at this point and doesn't fall out.
I might get a washer for the small right diameter to cut down on the shifting
Or I may run it as built to see what happens

Bought a cheap Handl on GB to play with too
That should be a real treat :)
What can I say, I love to tinker with guns.
Apologize, as I didn't read your review. Instead, I spotted the locking plate being out of position in the photo and was unsure if you knew that.

That being said, it sounds like the pocket was machined to the 5.56 width instead of the 7.62...

-SS

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Apologize, as I didn't read your review. Instead, I spotted the locking plate being out of position in the photo and was unsure if you knew that.

That being said, it sounds like the pocket was machined to the 5.56 width instead of the 7.62...

-SS

Thanks for the heads-up

·
Registered
129 Posts
my answer was a little short as I had to go when I posted. I have read alot about this idea. I like the idea for my scar to work with my other guns. I dont like the idea of screwing with it. I think the cav arms lower is kind of rough looking. But more than that it is about reputation. This lower has been out for a what a year? no body says much about it. From what sgtstryker says there seems to be some issues in the construction. which confirms my thoughts.

speaking of reputation it is only sgtstryker who has any. I have looked at the handl. I have read what they said. they have had sf and seals work on thier stuff. but here nobody likes their stuff either. they have been at it for what 2 years? the center of the internet for FN and not a peep about them. so to me it i have read from front to back most of what is here on the scar17. if i had to buy a lower right now i don't think id even consider the cav. why all you have to do do is read most of what is posted in here. I will wait for a fair professional impartial test before my money is sent to stryker. but its not even out yet and people are lined up. because of reputation

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OP, looks good and like Spilz glad to see manufacturers making parts for the SCAR. Do you know if the Geissele Super Scar will work with the lower?

I received a SuperScar G trigger this week, so I decided to check it out in this lower.
Installed smoothly and functions perfectly in the Cav lower.

I did decide to take some off the height of the bolt catch.
Some of The earlier pmags were raising it higher than I liked with 1 round in the mag.

Running 100% at this time.

Also put together a new manufactured H lower this weekend.
It also took a G trigger no problem and (gasp) is running 100% at this early stage of testing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.