FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Ok, shooting my 17 with 762sd can mounted. After can cools off I go to remove it.push the latch and twist...whole mount turns. This is only my second time using the can. Any secrets to this rocksett?
Did you pre-clean the barrel threads with acetone, as well as, the mating threads on your muzzle device. After the acetone is completely dry, wire brush the threads to remove any remaining residue powder. Next, torque the muzzle device to spec, then remove the muzzle device and apply rocksett to the barrel threads, re-torqueing the muzzle device to spec. Waite 24 hours for rocksett to cure.

·
Registered
876 Posts
This ^^^^. I have completely messed up with Rocksett in the past b/c the threads had some oily residue (even a little) on them.
Same here! I now use two paper towels. One with acetone and one thats dry. I clean the crap out the threads on the barrel and muzzle device with the acetone and brush and then use the clean dry towel and twist it around. Even though you think it's super clean you would be surprised how many times when you use a clean towel you get black crud. I just keep on repeating till I can twist hard around the threads with the clean paper towel and zero residue. Also make sure to remove all the acetone completely maybe wait 10mins for it to evaporate. Then put Rocksett on barrel threads and muzzle device threads all nice with a Q-Tip or something that evenly distributes the Rocksett.
Here is the ABSOLUTE must do. Torque to the correct setting.....If it doesn't time correctly with the proper torque then get a proper shim kit until it does time correctly. Also get a set of crows feet and a proper torque wrench you can set the poundage on. You can spend hundreds of dollars or check out Harbor Freight. Last time I was in HF they had a nice adjustable torque wrench for super cheap...like $10 or $15 bucks.
Do it right and that muzzle device isn't coming off....you are now ready for the coming zombie war!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Since we're talking about the 17 I'm assuming the AAC FH was used as the break is a big no no so no shim kit is needed since he FH doesn't need to be timed but would still need to be torqued correctly. I agree with very thoroughly cleaning the threads on both pieces though.
Same here! I now use two paper towels. One with acetone and one thats dry. I clean the crap out the threads on the barrel and muzzle device with the acetone and brush and then use the clean dry towel and twist it around. Even though you think it's super clean you would be surprised how many times when you use a clean towel you get black crud. I just keep on repeating till I can twist hard around the threads with the clean paper towel and zero residue. Also make sure to remove all the acetone completely maybe wait 10mins for it to evaporate. Then put Rocksett on barrel threads and muzzle device threads all nice with a Q-Tip or something that evenly distributes the Rocksett.
Here is the ABSOLUTE must do. Torque to the correct setting.....If it doesn't time correctly with the proper torque then get a proper shim kit until it does time correctly. Also get a set of crows feet and a proper torque wrench you can set the poundage on. You can spend hundreds of dollars or check out Harbor Freight. Last time I was in HF they had a nice adjustable torque wrench for super cheap...like $10 or $15 bucks.
Do it right and that muzzle device isn't coming off....you are now ready for the coming zombie war!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Since we're talking about the 17 I'm assuming the AAC FH was used as the break is a big no no so no shim kit is needed since he FH doesn't need to be timed but would still need to be torqued correctly. I agree with very thoroughly cleaning the threads on both pieces though.
I was just making a point that "if" the muzzle device needs to be timed to make sure it's timed with the correct torque. The times that I've seen similar situations it was because the MB wasn't torqued to the correct poundage because the break didn't line up. Shims were needed to fix the issue. It can bit a PITA to get the right shim spacing matched with the correct torque, but you've got to torque to correct poundage.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just clarifying since you mentioned something that didn't need to be done in this application so that the OP didn't go and try to time the FH or Breakout 2 with shims which is even a bigger no no on the scar 17 specially using a suppressor.
I was just making a point that "if" the muzzle device needs to be timed to make sure it's timed with the correct torque. The times that I've seen similar situations it was because the MB wasn't torqued to the correct poundage because the break didn't line up. Shims were needed to fix the issue. It can bit a PITA to get the right shim spacing matched with the correct torque, but you've got to torque to correct poundage.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Isn't red Loctite better for putting a break on a scar 17?

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Isn't red Loctite better for putting a break on a scar 17?
No, it can't take the heat, Rocksett is designed for this application (heat) plus if the items are not prepped or installed properly it doesn't matter what you use chances are it to will fail.

Reactions: Patton250

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
No, it can't take the heat, Rocksett is designed for this application (heat) plus if the items are not prepped or installed properly it doesn't matter what you use chances are it to will fail.
I can just get the Loctite at Amazon. They don't have the rocksett that can be delivered at a good price or in a decent amount of time.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I can just get the Loctite at Amazon. They don't have the rocksett that can be delivered at a good price or in a decent amount of time.
You were never a Boyscout were you..............Always be prepared. :wink:
Loctite won't do you any good and then you'll have more of a mess to clean up when you do go and get Rocksett to use.
PM or E-mail Jeremy M, chances are he can hook you up (worth asking him)

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
You were never a Boyscout were you..............Always be prepared. :wink:
Loctite won't do you any good and then you'll have more of a mess to clean up when you do go and get Rocksett to use.
PM or E-mail Jeremy M, chances are he can hook you up (worth asking him)
I talk to Jeremy a lot. I will PM him or I'll just order some from Midway. Thanks Tal

1 - 20 of 23 Posts