FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dang it! I hate to strip a screw head. But I did, a T25 on the bottom rail. I wonder if I can blame it on Rocksett. Anybody know where it is used on the SCAR 17. muzzle Brake? T25 Screws? Thanks, Kenaustin9

·
Premium Member
13,710 Posts
:welcomesigntb3:TO THE FORUM. YES I THINK FN USE ONE BOTTLE OF LOCTITE PER SCAR:-D FN DOES NOT WANT THESE RIFLES TO BE TAKEN APART BY THE CILIVIAN CUSTOMER. SO USE GOOD QUALITY TOOLS AND A HEAT GUN AND BE SURE NOT TO MELT ANYTHING YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY A TORX ON THE STRIPED HEAD.

·
Registered
609 Posts
you only need to rocksett a muzzle device if your using it as a suppressor adapter. blue locktite on scope ring screws and base screws. i use a drop teeny tiny drop let it dry overnite before putting the screw in place. i dont want it binding the threads just providing a little friction.

the screws that hold the bottom rail on a scar17 they used red locktite not rocksett. rocksett has a very low sheer strength around 18inch pounds.

you need to heat the screws on the bottom rail while turning applying hand pressure not a gorrilla grip. as it heats the red will melt and the screw comes free. a small propane or butane torch will do the trick.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you want to soften the Loctite, get a cheap soldering iron from Home Depot, Walmart, etc. Fire it up and let it get hot. Put the tip on the screw head. Count to 3, then loosen with the right size tool. Heat guns work too, but you get everything hot in the area around the screw, and that isn't always desirable.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
McMaster Carr sells a nice high torque Allen wrench set. $8 for metric set (just get both) .
If you start with soft or crappy fit tools you will wreck any screw. This undercut hex shape will save your a$$!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts