FN Herstal Firearms banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm pretty new to AR's and weapons of that sort, I've only ever fired an AR-15 a little bit. From what I can tell the SCAR is an amazing weapon, but I have a few questions.

1. In combat, would the lower ROF (rate of fire) be a disadvantage? I'm assuming no because even in combat semi-auto seems to be used more frequently.

2. Is there a reason the SCAR has a lower ROF than other AR's similar to it?

I realize these are probably dumb questions, but I'm new to all this. :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Well, I'm sorry. ROF is rate of fire.
Are you talking about cyclic rate of fire (the gun's maximum cycling rate of the operating mechanism), or are you talking about some sort of sustained rate of fire (i.e. a certain amount of rounds over a period of time)? Cyclic rate of fire are mostly in the 600-something rounds/minute for most guns. It's more controllable if you have to go to rock n roll. Some manufacturers experimented with extremely high firing rate (well over 1000 RPM) when the gun is set on 2- or 3-rounds bursts and their reasonings were that these rounds would exit the muzzle before it has a chance to rise too quickly.

So, no, the SCAR doesn't suffer any disadvantage for having a cyclic rate of only 625-rds/minute.

It's been a long time since I read the FM manual for the M16A2 that I used to carry, but if memory served correctly, I think that sustained rate of fire was like 15-rds a minute.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you talking about cyclic rate of fire (the gun's maximum cycling rate of the operating mechanism), or are you talking about some sort of sustained rate of fire (i.e. a certain amount of rounds over a period of time)? Cyclic rate of fire are mostly in the 600-something rounds/minute for most guns. It's more controllable if you have to go to rock n roll. Some manufacturers experimented with extremely high firing rate (well over 1000 RPM) when the gun is set on 2- or 3-rounds bursts and their reasonings were that these rounds would exit the muzzle before it has a chance to rise too quickly.

So, no, the SCAR doesn't suffer any disadvantage for having a cyclic rate of only 625-rds/minute.

It's been a long time since I read the FM manual for the M16A2 that I used to carry, but if memory served correctly, I think that sustained rate of fire was like 15-rds a minute.
For the cyclic rate of fire, doesn't the M4 have one around 900 RPM?

And wait, I'm confused, so what's the difference between the cyclic ROF and sustained ROF?

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
For the cyclic rate of fire, doesn't the M4 have one around 900 RPM?

And wait, I'm confused, so what's the difference between the cyclic ROF and sustained ROF?

Shortened guns tend to cycle faster on full auto, but if a manufacturer were to be smart, they'd regulate it down into the 600-700 range for controllability. The Army field manuals for the M16 family listed cyclic rate as between 700-900 RPM. Depends on the ammo and the gun, that sounds about right.

Sustained rate of fire means that it's a rate of fire you can shoot the gun over an extended period of time without melting anything.

Cyclic rate just means how fast the gun can fire on full auto.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shortened guns tend to cycle faster on full auto, but if a manufacturer were to be smart, they'd regulate it down into the 600-700 range for controllability. The Army field manuals for the M16 family listed cyclic rate as between 700-900 RPM. Depends on the ammo and the gun, that sounds about right.

Sustained rate of fire means that it's a rate of fire you can shoot the gun over an extended period of time without melting anything.

Cyclic rate just means how fast the gun can fire on full auto.
Oh I see... so cyclic is what all the video game kiddies care about (joke) and sustained is what matters in real life?

And wait, only 15 RPM sustained for the SCAR? So 15 rounds per minute without melting crap?

And would the SCAR be capable at firing 700+ cyclic?

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Oh I see... so cyclic is what all the video game kiddies care about (joke) and sustained is what matters in real life?
Yep.

And wait, only 15 RPM sustained for the SCAR? So 15 rounds per minute without melting crap?
I don't know about the SCAR, but I wouldn't be surprised that it'd be similar to the M16-family. Sure, you can go with a heavy barrel so that it can take the heat better. BUT, here's where a big BUT comes in, once a heavy barrel is well heated up, it will remain hot a lot longer than a skinnier barrel. Essentially there's no free lunch.

And would the SCAR be capable at firing 700+ cyclic?

It can be made to fire at practically any cyclic rate. All you have to do is fool around with the gas port size, recoil spring rate, the weight of the bolt carrier group, auto sear, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also remember that the 15-RPM sustained firing rate is probably an all-day-long sustained firing rate.
Oh ok that makes sense. Lol. I thought you could only fire 15 RPM. Ok lol.

So FN made the choice to only have their gun fire at 650 RPM for the sake of controllability/ammo management?

But what if you came into a close quarters engagement with a faster firing weapon?

I can see where the lower RPM is nice, but it makes playing my favorite weapon in Battlefield difficult! Just kidding. :p

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
You employ superior tactics and destroy your enemy, full auto suppressive fire is just that and usually only switched to when you're being overrun. Again, employ superior tactics and don't get overrun, it happens though and those who are better trained and better marksman will put a swift end to a herd of those spraying and praying.

But what if you came into a close quarters engagement with a faster firing weapon?

Reactions: Spilz

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You employ superior tactics and destroy your enemy, full auto suppressive fire is just that and usually only switched to when you're being overrun. Again, employ superior tactics and don't get overrun, it happens though and those who are better trained and better marksman will put a swift end to a herd of those spraying and praying.
Makes sense. So as fnfalman said, the ROF on the SCAR CAN be modified? Maybe that should be a feature in Battlefield so I can have the most overpowered weapon in da world. Kidding again. :p

And sort of related, how many 5.56 rounds does it usually take to kill? I'm assuming 1-2 would bring them to the ground then a few more to finish them off?

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
You ask an odd and disturbing question, the truth though, ONE, while again employing superior tactics and marksmanship. A 22LR even a 22Short for that matter placed to CNS will bring anything to an end.

And sort of related, how many 5.56 rounds does it usually take to kill? I'm assuming 1-2 would bring them to the ground then a few more to finish them off?

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
So FN made the choice to only have their gun fire at 650 RPM for the sake of controllability/ammo management?

You'd probably kill them because they've hosed their mags away and haven't hit squat.

·
Registered
703 Posts
This whole thread is a disaster. Please do not answer any more of this guys' questions.

As he said... Obvious Troll is Obvious.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.