FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was shooting my fnp 45 today and i noticed that there was no red bar indicating a chambered round......i thought a little red bar was going to show on the right side of the slide?????????

·
Registered
203 Posts
The loaded chamber indicator is about the worst gimmick added to a firearm ever. All guns are to be treated as loaded until confirmed otherwise.

·
Registered
102 Posts
on my FNP 40, the indicator doesnt show because it isnt pushed out far enough, the red line is there, it just doesnt get pushed out. But I agree completely with Cooter

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I can barely see it on my FNP-9 and it has to be in good light. It sticks out maybe 2mm at its widest part, but at least it won't catch on anything. If you do pick up the weapon and are unsure if it is loaded, I would suggest racking the slide after dropping the mag.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
SELFDEFENSE said:
Red line? I don't see no steenking red line. Not a very good low-light high-stress indicator.
If you shoot with your right hand, it can be felt pretty easily with your trigger finger. When a the chamber is empty, it is pretty smooth. I'm not sure I would want to be looking at my weapon very much if there is an immediate threat that I need to be keeping an eye on. If I can feel all the necessary indicators of the weapon being ready to go, I'd rather rely on that. This is where familiarity with the firearm is key.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you shoot with your right hand, it can be felt pretty easily with your trigger finger. When a the chamber is empty, it is pretty smooth. I'm not sure I would want to be looking at my weapon very much if there is an immediate threat that I need to be keeping an eye on. If I can feel all the necessary indicators of the weapon being ready to go, I'd rather rely on that. This is where familiarity with the firearm is key.
That is the conclusion I came to. It is the first thing I noticed when I chambered a round. I had to break out a flashlight to see the red stripe.
That is pretty useless IMO.

But as said with a round chambered you can definitely feel it protruding if you know what it feels like. The forward edge next to the ejection port is pretty much flush with an empty chamber and it sticks out just enough to feel it when a round is chambered. And that's all ya need to know if you are in a hurry.

Granted visually checking is the only way to know for sure but I don't feel it is a gimmick.
If it's dark and you don't want to make any noise by racking the slide just to be sure, it's a handy way to confirm one is in the pipe.
YMMV

·
Registered
323 Posts
That is what it said in the manual and I tried it in the dark numerous times when I first got the gun. I came to the conclusion that in a real situation the difference was too small to bet my life on it. I will use a standard press check if the situation arises.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Here's what it looks like on my FNP-9:

As you can see, it doesn't stick out too far, but I can easily tell by feeling it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have to agree. I don't see any line on my FNP-45 and the "indicator" does not stick out at all. However, mine is ALWAYS loaded with a round in the chamber so I it wouldn't really effect me either way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts