FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm interested in putting together a round counter for a FS2000, and was hoping to pool experiences.

I remember a while ago, some enterprising young folk had put together airsoft versions of both the M41 from "Aliens" and the Battle Rifle from the "Halo" video games, complete with digital round counters.

If anyone happens to know the links, or what would be neccesary to put together a digital round counter, post your thoughts here!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M41A_pulse_rifle

Apparently, the airsoft version uses a IR sensor near the muzzle. I'm thinking that a sensor/switch triggered by the BCG would be the best idea.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's an awsome idea, I would think a problem would be if you use a 40 or 20 round mag instead of a standard 30 rounder. How does the counter know how many rounds remain. Or would it just keep track of how many rounds you have fired untill you reset it?

·
Registered
161 Posts
FN is working on a "black box" for the F2000 that will collect all sorts of data. No idea when it will be ready and if it will ever be released for civilian sales.

·
Registered
414 Posts
We used to play around with an idea like that when I was working at darpa. But it was deamed un-necessary and would have made something simple into a complex system, which can fail.

The working system we had was a slightly modified USGI mag that was reset to 30 when inserted into the receiver via a small contact point, like you have on a handheld phone charger cradle, and either sent a wireless tone to the earpiece of the battle helmet and, or a small cunter inside the lower FOV on the battle optics of the rifle . Just was not worth the complexity and would force a soldier to take attention away from possible target(s). It's all declassed now so I'm not gona get in trouble for telling you guys. :shock:

·
Registered
7 Posts
***********do what the pros do*************

make your last 4-5 rds tracers in each mag .. You see red-Panic accordingly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
CAA is coming out with countdown mags dunno if theyll work in the FS2K tho. ::FF::

·
Registered
42 Posts
I collect movie props. I owned a Morita rifle from Starship Troopers. They made two versions with a down counting digital counter and I owned one of them. The counter startered at 1000 and counted down to zero but it didn't count the rounds it was just for effect. I would suggest adding a sensor the ejection port to count the expelled rounds as they are ejected. It's actually a simple circuit and it ran on a 9 volt battery. Hope this helps.

Lee

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
I'm currently in Taiwan and I just saw an airsoft replica of the M41A1 Pulse Rifle from Aliens ... functioning round counter and all. If the damn thing didn't cost $1000, I'd be bringing it home with me. Imagine trying to explain that one at Customs! "No sir ... it's a replica of a movie weapon?!?" :-D

You'd think an electronic counter sensor located in the spent casing ejection tube could be done somehow?

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
^^^ For $360, I'd rather buy a case of ammo ... that round counter must pick up cable TV and tell your fortune for that kind of money??? :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts