FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentleman and the few Ladies,

I purchased a Ruger 10/22 50th Anniversary Edition .22lr Rifle last night and need to start doing "my thing" to it. I have confirmed with a knowledgeable and invaluable resource that yes, it's a decent rifle and no, I didn't get screwed, you know who you are and I thank you! Moving on, I have chosen the Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20mm as my optic which will be mounted to the 1913 rail via Leupold PRW-1 ring mounts. I have no use nor does any .22lr really, for a flash hider and would rather use a thread protector. I have also discovered that Timney makes a trigger for the 10/22 and was wondering if anyone has used one and are they worth it? Yes, I know it's not an expensive rifle and I probably shouldn't spend too much on it, but you know what, that's just how I am. :biggrin:

Ruger 10/22 50th Anniversary Edition
View attachment 30033

Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20mm
View attachment 30034

Leupold PRW Mounting System
View attachment 30035

·
Super Moderator
22,554 Posts
:wink:CONGRATS! ON YOUR NEW RUGER 10/22 :? SHE'S GOING TO BE A PRETTY SWEET SETUP WITH THAT LEUPOLD:shock: MIGHT WANT TO LOOK AT THESE TO AS A TRIGGER OPTION HEARD THEY ARE A REAL NICE! TG2000

·
Registered
961 Posts
I chose the Kidd trigger over the Tim-trig. Personal preference, but I do love the options available on mine.

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
I went with a Hornet trigger on my 10-22, that was back when you could still get the all metal trigger housings. Good think I kept the old metal one for a spare. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks JHS, I'll keep looking into triggers to see what's available. I just ordered the Leupold scope and some Butler Creek Flip Caps, will have to wait until it arrives to determine what height rings I'll need. Trying to locate a 1/2"x28 thread protector right now. I may swap the iron's out for fiber optic's if they're available. I did find that the Timney has a mag release below the trigger guard, not sure if I'm keen on that location.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Seamac, as an owner of (3) 10/22's, i'll give you my real world 2 cents.

Must-do mods

1. Auto Bolt Release. This allows the bolt to slam shut with slight rearward pressure and release. Otherwise, you have to use that damn button to do it. Yuck!! Volquartsen makes an okay drop-in replacement, but, on all my 10/22's, i just modified the original one with a dremmel, and it works like a charm.

2. Polish and de-burr the bolt and the inside of the receiver. This makes a world of difference.

3. Kidd 10/22 bolt buffer. Found here Ruger 10-22 Bolt Buffer .. Takes away the clunk of the bolt smashing into the steel dowel pin in top rear of receiver. Shoot it with the original bolt buffer, then the Kidd. You'll see what i mean. Best $6 ever.

4. (maybe) Extended mag releaseSome guys swear by 'em, but i could care less. The OEM works fine for me.

Your best aftermarkets are going to be Kidd, Volquartsen https://www.volquartsen.com/ , and Tactical Innovations 10/22 UPGRADES - Tactical Innovations Inc. - Idaho Official Website -

Magazines - Stick with the Ruger 10 round rotary, Ruger 25 round banana (BX-25), and maybe the Butler Creek's with metal feed lips. I would think think long and hard about any others.

The Timney and Kidd triggers are nice, dont get me wrong, but i have a hard time spending close to the cost of a rifle on a drop in trigger, plus i also don't like the the bottom rear trigger guard swing-away placement of those mag releases. If anything, go for the Kidd Trigger Job instead of a drop in. Hope this helps. Laters, JB

·
Premium Member
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks JB,

That helps a LOT! I will certainly look into everything you mentioned as for the extended mag release the 50th Edition comes with one.

Must-do mods

1. Auto Bolt Release. This allows the bolt to slam shut with slight rearward pressure and release. Otherwise, you have to use that damn button to do it. Yuck!! Volquartsen makes an okay drop-in replacement, but, on all my 10/22's, i just modified the original one with a dremmel, and it works like a charm.

2. Polish and de-burr the bolt and the inside of the receiver. This makes a world of difference.

3. Kidd 10/22 bolt buffer. Found here Ruger 10-22 Bolt Buffer .. Takes away the clunk of the bolt smashing into the steel dowel pin in top rear of receiver. Shoot it with the original bolt buffer, then the Kidd. You'll see what i mean. Best $6 ever.

4. (maybe) Extended mag releaseSome guys swear by 'em, but i could care less. The OEM works fine for me.

Your best aftermarkets are going to be Kidd, Volquartsen https://www.volquartsen.com/ , and Tactical Innovations 10/22 UPGRADES - Tactical Innovations Inc. - Idaho Official Website -

Magazines - Stick with the Ruger 10 round rotary, Ruger 25 round banana (BX-25), and maybe the Butler Creek's with metal feed lips. I would think think long and hard about any others.

The Timney and Kidd triggers are nice, dont get me wrong, but i have a hard time spending close to the cost of a rifle on a drop in trigger, plus i also don't like the the bottom rear trigger guard swing-away placement of those mag releases. If anything, go for the Kidd Trigger Job instead of a drop in. Hope this helps. Laters, JB

·
Registered
548 Posts
Thanks JB,

That helps a LOT! I will certainly look into everything you mentioned as for the extended mag release the 50th Edition comes with one.
Ahhh, my bad, i wasnt looking that closely at the pic. I had a 10/22 growing up, but never really got into them again until the last couple years. It was a no-brainer go to when my youngest daughter wanted to start shooting. She loves it, and now, at the ripe age of 10, she recently started shooting pistol with a Ruger 22P that i bought for her. She treats the 10/22 like her old trusty horseback rifle or something!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts

Must-do mods

1 and 3 is what I have done so far on my take down. 1 especially is a must ASAP do, probably the best thing to change off the bat.

·
Premium Member
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wholly crap you can do a great deal to this rifle, just goes to show, post a thread seeking help with accessories, kiss a great deal of money good bye. I'm really digging the Kidd Fluted Barrel. :?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have both the Kidd two stage in the full Kidd assembly with a trigger blade, and the Kidd single stage trigger in both of my 10/22's. Both are awesome, but I prefer the single stage over the two stage unless I am going for small groups in paper. I highly suggest Kidd triggers.

Reactions: SeaMac
1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.