FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is by far my favorite .22 pistol and is my go-to for training new shooters. With the Volquartsen sear and trigger (around 2 pounds), Clark bushing, Hi-Viz sights, and Kingshouse (see rimfirecentral forums) grip mod and large mag release, shooting it is an absolute joy. Grips are ivory micarta by JP. Here's an old pic. I removed the bolt charging handle as it kept walking and also my kids' hands got strong enough to not need it.

I took my 15-year-old son to his first handgun match yesterday and it rained ALL DAY and got windy/cold and seriously uncomfortable the last half hour or so, so I figured it was time to detail strip the Ruger again for the first time since I installed the VQ guts when basically new, and dry it out/clean/re-lube it. Since the VQ mods (at which time I also removed the lever from the LCI and the bolt stop spring and plunger) we've put at least 10,000 rounds through it without detail stripping it. I would CLP/wipe the chamber area and re-lube the bolt occasionally, but figured it didn't really need to be sparkly clean as long as it kept running reliably, which it always did. I think I had the upper off and the bolt out for a wipe once , but the lower has not been cleaned.

So those of a sensitive nature may want to avert their eyes. :?::spank:

95% of the rounds fired have been Federal Champion bulk, plated. Actually not much crud considering the number of rounds IMO. Pistol still running flawlessly BTW. The bore looks pristine. I swiped it once with bore shine and took a look and it appears to be perfect.

While detailing the bolt I found a set of parts I didn't know existed, and which I'm not sure I should have removed... it appears to be a flat spring with a post formed in the rearward end, onto which a very small coil spring slips. This appears to be the firing pin return spring (and possibly something else that I can't figure out). In any case, I planned to brush it clean in place but the coil spring came off and I noted the front coil or two had broken at some point.

A replacement from Ruger looks to be about 2 bucks.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
BTW, you know those pictures may cause some OCD cleaning fanatics to lose their minds. :lol:
Slightly :mrgreen:

Impressive it ran so long and I'm surprised it wasn't dirtier.

I cleaned a couple of my dad's guns for him since he doesn't do it. One was his Rem 870, which had much and reeds in it (dumped into swamps several times, never cleaned...). That thing just kept going and going, but it was scarily filthy and I'm surprised the trigger was still working.

The other one was a Winchester 22 (semi-auto, tube magazine, not sure which model). Anyway, he's had it over 30 years and had never cleaned it. It was running like a champ but the trigger was getting heavy and feeling weird so I decided to clean it. I took some big chunks of gunk out of that thing (again, surprised the thing still ran considering how dirty it was). That rifle had a lot fewer rounds than your Ruger, which is why I'm a bit surprised it's not dirtier. Maybe the ammo my dad got with the rifle was dirtier 30 years ago than it is now.

Reactions: 1KPerDay

·
Registered
820 Posts
Actually , fairly clean ammo for the round count.
Probably mixed batches.......but what were they..... by brand?

Oop saw Fed Champ. Late read. My bad.

·
Premium Member
9,528 Posts
Man, I'm hardly OCD about cleaning and that made me a little wobbly. Impressive results, though. I'm been eying one of the Rugers. The one thing I've never got around to getting is a .22 Pistol.

Reactions: cap10

·
Registered
820 Posts
My MkII 10" BULL Bbl. Has never failed me...never went 200 rds without some solvent; q- tips & a bore brushing.

Now I know, I was over- meticulous.

·
Registered
357 Posts
After 2 hours of detailing, it's looking better now. Big chunks of dried lube/crud were falling out everywhere. LOL
Braver than I. Love my MKIII but other than a quick bore clean and wipe down, I'm done.
Looks too complicated for Mr. AllThumbs here to tackle (learned my lesson years ago with a HK P7M8 that I should never have considered disassembling).

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Great review and cleaning job. Thanks!

Reactions: 1KPerDay

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Braver than I. Love my MKIII but other than a quick bore clean and wipe down, I'm done.
Looks too complicated for Mr. AllThumbs here to tackle (learned my lesson years ago with a HK P7M8 that I should never have considered disassembling).
Once you remove the magazine disconnect guts it's quite straightforward. Bullseye's excellent tutorials help a lot.

2245 Maintenance Page

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Called Ruger, new rebound spring on the way, no charge. Saved me $8. :D

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Wow! that is impressive. With my Mk I , I can go about 400-600 rounds without cleaning before it starts to have consistant malfunctions not attributed to cheap .22LR.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Is the ammo you use really waxy? Lead?
I don't think so... I use probably what everyone else uses.. which is whatever i can find lately. :) I use CCI, Remington, Federal mainly it seems. Usually it seems the grit from unburned powder will eventually cause the slide to stick and not go fully into battery, or the rounds start hanging up on the feed ramp. after i wipe all the grit out it will keep on going though.

It is also quite old, with tens of thousands of rounds threw it. Still just as accurate as ever! lots of fun on steel plates.

I also replaced the recoil spring assymbly a couple of years ago. One of the tabs broke off of the rod.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts