FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took advantage if palmetto states deal for a ruger takedown 50th anniversary posted in slick guns.com for a Black Friday gift to myself. I admittedly have no experience and little knowledge about this platform, I simply wanted a reliable 22lr plunked that I may hunt with at some point, and just enjoy the idea of a takedown. The price pushed me over the edge. I'm not even sure what range the 22lr is effective at or at which point people zero. Any advice, education you may be able to share is appreciated.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/ruger-1022-22lr-ss-take-down-navy-digital-camo-11188-29999

My goal is to thread the barrel for my sparrow can, and put some sort of scope on it. I'm looking for suggestions and posts/links if possible. Is like to spend no less than 100.00 for a scope. I don't know what a typical a set up is, however I understand this is a subjective thing, so share what
you know.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Trouble,

I got to say you will come to love that little Ruger 10/22. I personally don't have the take-down model but I do have it's older brother and love it (when I can find enough ammo to feed it currently!) I personally have mine zeroed at 50 yrs as it is mainly used for helping teach young and old who are new to the shooting sports and for dispatching potguts (aka ground squirrel) and the like at our farm & mountain property.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice! Thanks for the input. I have wanted one for a long time, I got a crazY price and can't be happier. Hoping to put a scope on it and get the barrel threaded? Any idea if I can? Does the muzzle device it comes with unthread?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Nice! Thanks for the input. I have wanted one for a long time, I got a crazY price and can't be happier. Hoping to put a scope on it and get the barrel threaded? Any idea if I can? Does the muzzle device it comes with unthread?
The muzzle device does not unthread, you will have to take it to a gunsmith. It comes with scope bases in the bag.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Does the take-down share barrels with the regular model? If so you can get a great threaded barrel for not that much money.

Is is it hard to install? Need tools or a gunsmith? Have a link for it-- remember I'm new to this ruger.
5 minute job, don't worry about it :)

Install video:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Seems it doesn't share barrels with the non-takedown version :sad:

The good news is that you can get a takedown variant with a factory threaded barrel, so that may be cheaper to get a second one, than having someone cut and thread your existing barrel.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I was told no but I'd like to know how to put a front post back up there.
Yes, send the barrel to Que.

I just got my 1974 barrel and bolt back from him and the threading / sight setback looks perfect.

https://sites.google.com/site/quesplace/que-barrel-work

$85 for the thread and sight setback. He's well known in the 10/22 work as doing great work on barrels and bolts. I had him do my bolt as well, looks great and I'm going to shoot it tomorrow.

I'm going to get a 10/22 takedown (have one on layaway at Buds) but am getting one that is already threaded. The standard all black version with the muzzle device.

I hate that Navy blueberry camo, but if it's ok with you rock and roll.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, send the barrel to Que.

I just got my 1974 barrel and bolt back from him and the threading / sight setback looks perfect.

https://sites.google.com/site/quesplace/que-barrel-work

$85 for the thread and sight setback. He's well known in the 10/22 work as doing great work on barrels and bolts. I had him do my bolt as well, looks great and I'm going to shoot it tomorrow.

I'm going to get a 10/22 takedown (have one on layaway at Buds) but am getting one that is already threaded. The standard all black version with the muzzle device.

I hate that Navy blueberry camo, but if it's ok with you rock and roll.
yeah I'm cool with it, it will be unique. From all the videos I've seen, more subdued than the link picture.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.