FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone kept a running tally of what types of rounds they've purchased/used or how much they've actually spent on their PS90s?

Me personally, I keep track of the price of ammo lots I've bought, how they were divided (if there were different types of rounds in the lot), average price per round, when/what was used, and how much of each type is left. I've even got it set up with color-coded "depletion" warnings: >50% ammo left is GREEN, 50-25% is YELLOW, 25-10% is RED, and <10% is BLACK.

I've got all this in an MS Excel file. While I haven't actually fired a round yet, I've got it all set up for when I do start. Pretty much everything is auto-calculated for me. Another page in the same file keeps track of everything I've purchased for this particular carbine and how much everything was (including tax). I figure with all this information, I should be pretty set should I ever decide to sell it.

I'd be happy to share this file with anyone, completed as an example. My PM inbox is VERY full, so if you'd like a copy, just email me at ryanahorst(at)gmail.com... of course replacing the "(at)" with "@". Make sure the email subject line says, "FNH PS90 Expense Sheet Request". Anything other than this will be ignored/deleted. This will obviously be useful for those with Five-seveN pistols, too.

Edited: If you get a copy of this, make sure under the "Ammo" tab that all the ammo "Types" are entered in the exact same way each time. Otherwise, the calculations will not be correct. Also do NOT delete anything in the "K" or "L" columns. Doing so will delete the coding.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I basically flipped my entire collection again a few years ago. Everything I have is from 2005 or newer now. So, I started keeping track of the # of rounds and the dates I have shot - as well as the ammo types (JHP or FMJ for my handguns, and 195 or 197 for my PS90 and Five Seven. That's about all I've done, however.

·
Registered
980 Posts
A quick calculation shows that I've spent nearly 2 grand on 5.7x28mm ammo so far. I've shot $1600 dollars worth. So I have about $450 dollars worth of brass.- Goes to show the value of a brass catcher.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To those that emailed me, you should have replies. I'm glad there's at least a little interest in this. I find stuff like this very useful. :?

Edited: be sure to let me know if you find it useful or have some suggested changes. I'm constantly making little adjustments to my personal copy.

·
Registered
156 Posts
To much, but what the hell. Thats why they call it a hobby.

And I have plenty of .22s for a cheap date.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Given everybodys comments, all I can say is, time to start reloading. You can shoot 5.7x28 for .50 a round if you buy it, or .12 a round if you handload it. I'd just as soon save the money and use the savings to keep my safe well fed... :D

Gregg

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gregg877 said:
Given everybodys comments, all I can say is, time to start reloading. You can shoot 5.7x28 for .50 a round if you buy it, or .12 a round if you handload it. I'd just as soon save the money and use the savings to keep my safe well fed... :D

Gregg
Yep. My average cost per round right now is $0.40, but I'm gonna buy a set of dies to use with the reloading equipment I have waiting on me at home for when I get back to the States.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Might be a good idea to have your peep's back here in the world start stock piling components for you. While the individual items(powder, primers, boolits) aren't quite as much as the commercially made product, the price is climbing. Primers especially. Last time I bought a sleeve of lrg rifle primers, they were $39.99! Bought enough to last me for a while, but I'm dreading the day I'll have to go re-supply. Still working off of the WSR primers I bought a while back for my 5.7 reloads, so I don't even know what they are going for now.

BTW, I bought the RCBS 5.7x28FN dies, and no regrets. Spend the money, you wont have any either. :?

Gregg

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gregg877 said:
Might be a good idea to have your peep's back here in the world start stock piling components for you. While the individual items(powder, primers, boolits) aren't quite as much as the commercially made product, the price is climbing. Primers especially. Last time I bought a sleeve of lrg rifle primers, they were $39.99! Bought enough to last me for a while, but I'm dreading the day I'll have to go re-supply. Still working off of the WSR primers I bought a while back for my 5.7 reloads, so I don't even know what they are going for now.

BTW, I bought the RCBS 5.7x28FN dies, and no regrets. Spend the money, you wont have any either. :?

Gregg
Thanks! :? I'm gonna look into that. I've been buying ammo w/o any thought to actually buy the supplies to reload the spent casings (of which I'm saving every single one). I do already have over about 150 SS195 and 197 bullets to reload (the pulled ones supplied from BACA he ships with his purchases), but that won't get me very far.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I rotate my stocks as I shoot & replenish it, but I don't reload. Ammo costs me $.35/rd in bulk then I sell the empties for $.10/ea to make my total out-of-pocket cost $.25/rd to shoot.
Tomac

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks! :? I'm gonna look into that. I've been buying ammo w/o any thought to actually buy the supplies to reload the spent casings (of which I'm saving every single one). I do already have over about 150 SS195 and 197 bullets to reload (the pulled ones supplied from BACA he ships with his purchases), but that won't get me very far.
Hey, thats 3 mags and a good start. Just remember to keep your empties divided, you want to keep the shells together by headstamp/lot. As I fire them, I use my brass catcher and just empty it into the box they came in. You can fire them several times before having to discard them. Still don't know if anyone is commercially making 5.7 brass yet, though if not, give it time, somebody will.

Best, Gregg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts