FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I have looked around for info on the S&B ammo but the threads all show a bit of a dead end. I currently have an opportunity to buy a few boxes of this S&B 5.7 ammo for the same price as FN SS197SR. Wondering if anyone has some information and would know if this would be safe to fire in my 5.7 DAO? On the S&B website it is only listed as rifle ammo

The specs for the ammo as stated on the box are as follows:
40gr
FMJ with zinc core
1788 ft/s at the muzzle
50rds per box
Lot date of May 2020(?) with CIP marks on the boxes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes! if the S&B actually exists!
Ok, good to hear. It is a bit more expensive than the Federal AE 5.7 but the dealer has around 3000 rounds of the S&B in stock. Another retailer that is closer to me had some S&B last year as well but it was all sold before I had even bought my Five-Seven.

Getting it shipped cross-country to me it comes out to around $0.87/rd for 250rds which is not bad but a lot more than the $0.60ish per round I paid for Federal last fall. I guess I am still lucky with American prices for 5.7 as high as they are right now!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pictures?
I was able to grab some from their website, just the boxes though. Both of the dealers that stock(ed) it are across the country from me so no pictures of the rounds until I can get some in hand. Sorry for the poor quality on the second, I could only get the image with a crappy screenshot

·
Super Moderator
20,229 Posts
Nothing is listed on Seller & Bellot website on the 5.7X28 ammunition so please provide us with a pictures of the round itself and of the head stamp when you receive it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing is listed on Seller & Bellot website on the 5.7X28 ammunition so please provide us with a pictures of the round itself and of the head stamp when you receive it?
Hmm sorry about that, I certainly looked at it before - it was under the "Rifle FMJ training ammo" section and I even have the page in my browser history from March 21, however it now leads to a dead end on their site :(

Guess I definitely have to order some now! Have just been waiting for a sale and they are having one for Easter, perfect.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
S&B denies this ammo exists at all in the wild. It was supposedly part of a project that was never completed. I was alerted to a person who had 1000s of rounds of it here in the US, but he wanted $2/rd and wanted like all 30,000 rounds purchased.

There's a guy in the Ruger 57 FB group in France, that this is all he can get. It has no case coating on it, and he actually had a split body on one the other day.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It shows Buffman replied to this thread, but I don’t see it. I checked, and he’s not accidentally on my ignore list.

This new forum software is awful. Vbulletin is so much better.

·
Registered
966 Posts
It shows Buffman replied to this thread, but I don’t see it. I checked, and he’s not accidentally on my ignore list.

This new forum software is awful. Vbulletin is so much better.
Post #8 is the latest Buffman I see

·
Registered
182 Posts
Logged out and still doesn’t show in safari.

Tried using chrome while logged out and saw Buffman’s post.

·
Registered
182 Posts
This makes at least 2 members I no can longer can see: thehun and now Buffman. Neither are on my ignore list.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I see HK replied (from the main forum area with all threads), but I can’t see his actual post either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
S&B denies this ammo exists at all in the wild. It was supposedly part of a project that was never completed. I was alerted to a person who had 1000s of rounds of it here in the US, but he wanted $2/rd and wanted like all 30,000 rounds purchased.

There's a guy in the Ruger 57 FB group in France, that this is all he can get. It has no case coating on it, and he actually had a split body on one the other day. View attachment 142068 View attachment 142069
Yikes! Definitely having some second thoughts on seeing that.....

Hope the other gents in the thread can get their technical problems sorted so they can see what happened!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi folks, I promise I didn't forget about this thread! Even though its been 8 months already somehow..... Kind of got cold feet after seeing the pics Buffman posted. I ended up ordering some stuff from the retailer with the S&B ammo on Black Friday and figured I'd grab a couple boxes to show everyone and have for reference at the very least. Unfortunately one of the boxes tore open on the way but no rounds were lost!

Here are the boxes

Top and front labels are identical

Rear of the box

Bottom side, also note that both left and right sides of the box are blank

A few rounds out on the table

The rounds are packaged in 5 rows of 10 all facing the same orientation, with thin white cardboard dividers on each layer

For the life of me I just couldn't get the camera to pick up the headstamp but clockwise it reads: "S&B (little crown emblem) 5.7x28"

Next to a box of 50rds Blazer .380 for scale

Hope this is useful!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts