FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still looking at AR's. I like this one. Does anyone have a S&W or have any experience with one? Are they worth the money? Let me have it, spill your guts and share. I need input!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I've always thought that the tactical S&W AR model was sweet. People always claim you can put the same thing together for less - but at AR15.com, it's been added up - and you really come out better. Plus, you get the S&W custoemr service.

Only neg I heard about the tactical is that the polymer mags will not work in the mag well - as the opening is a bit smaller.

I know that doesn't directly address your question for the "X" model - but that was all I could offer.

When I bought my PS90 - it was down to the M&P Tactical or the PS90 (back in Dev 2006). I researched it quite a bit at the time, and it would have been the Ar I would have bought had I not gotten the PS90 instead.

·
Registered
320 Posts
CHICAGO TYPEWRITER said:
Still looking at AR's. I like this one. Does anyone have a S&W or have any experience with one? Are they worth the money? Let me have it, spill your guts and share. I need input!
Up until late, it's a STAG that S&W put their name on and jacked up the price. If you can get one of those models (the STAGS), you're getting a great quality firearm at an expensive price.

They are only worth the money if you are willing to pay extra for it simply having M&P on it.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
It's been a year since I looked at it - but not all of it is a stag. There are some differences, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How does Doublestar stack up to the other brands for the price? Are they made here or imported? What kind of warranty do they offer?

·
Registered
320 Posts
CHICAGO TYPEWRITER said:
How does Doublestar stack up to the other brands for the price? Are they made here or imported? What kind of warranty do they offer?
DoubleStar is made here in the US. I own two doublestar/J&T distributing AR's and sold a 3rd to my brother, and they are absolutely top notch, perfect mil spec weapons. From what I understand, they have been in business for a long time, and I'm 99% sure that they have a lifetime warranty. They do everything in house in Kentucky, no parts (except I think for their barrels) are made by outside sources (CMT/stag make colt/rra/etc lowers). They are extremely tight, and flawless running ar's.

I would rec. doublestar just as much as I rec. Stag.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is a good price for S&W? Shop had it priced at $1100. Website has $1400. What is a fair mark up on these?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Stag no longer makes S&W's AR-15s...been that way for a while. A lot of the internals are LMT. They also have no problems now with the polymer mags. My M&P15T takes PMags just fine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
CHICAGO TYPEWRITER said:
What is a good price for S&W? Shop had it priced at $1100. Website has $1400. What is a fair mark up on these?
I had seen a dealer in OH selling the M&P15X with Troy Industries rear flip up rear sight and LMT AR15 semi-auto BCG for $950.

I've also heard that S&W are having a $100 rebate on M&P15 rifles but I'm not sure if the 15X model is included in their rebate program.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've got one the a model. (Slightly built up though) I paid $850 for it. It is a really sweet rifle. No problems at all with it. It’s the Timex of ar's in my book, minus piston drives of course. It’s taken quite a few poundings and works flawless. I hope this helps. 8) Buy the way it takes beta-c's really well.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I bought a 15X lastweekend its sweet! :? I paid 965.00 plus I got 100.00 rebate

They are made at S&W now!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ShipWreck said:
When I bought my PS90 - it was down to the M&P Tactical or the PS90 (back in Dev 2006). I researched it quite a bit at the time, and it would have been the Ar I would have bought had I not gotten the PS90 instead.

Hey Ship, can rack your brain and tell me a little more?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Basically - I Wanted the PS90 - but, I wasn't going to spend the $ w/o trying it first. 2 people let me try theirs. I also got to shoot a short barrelled M16, an M4 and an AK.

I loved the PS90 - so, that did it. The tactical S&W AR looked kewl - so, had I not liked the PS90 - I would have wnet with that because I liked how the quad rail went all the way to the end, covering the gas block.

·
Registered
636 Posts
the plastic trigger group turned me off ......100% :cry:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts