FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is better guys S&W MP15 vs Rockriver Arms vs Bushmaster? Lets get some imput on these firearms. I owned a bushmaster I sold it, and I have zero complaints on my mp15.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I really like the M&P15 Tactical model whenever I look at it. Everyone raves about the Triggers on the RRA, however.

But with all the brands of ARs, I think sometimes its just personal taste - like all the variations of 1911s...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I really like the looks of the S&W Tactical as well but have found I can build an very comparable RRA for several hundred less. I'm sure the S&W is a fine rifle, but I don't think it is any better than RRA and the several hundred is just for the S&W name.

I have a bushmaster and have no complaints.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, I like that front folding sight on the S&W tactical - and the rail seems to cover the gas block in 1 piece, instead of having a seperate gas block piece with it's own rail.

So, to do that, I think U would need one of those daniel defense rails in order to make it look similar - and then the RRA AR would cost more.

·
Registered
171 Posts
In my own opinion I would pick the S&W but only after they fixed their magwell design so it could accept the Mapul PMAG polymer mags and I've heard that the company agreed to fix it soon.

CMT makes the components for S&W, RRA, Stag Arms, and Colt also other large factories, they are of high quality.

Most of the firearm instructors states that the Stag Arms/ CMT are the second most reliable brand year in and year out, only second to the most reliable brand which according to them, Colt is the most reliable and Bushmaster a distant third.

I've got RRA, LMT and two Colt ARs.

·
Registered
636 Posts
S&W M&P 15 OR DPMS ........THE REST are just hype ! IMO You should go to a comp shoot then you will see how many guys are using DPMS ....Turbo took down the sale deal that would have been the way to go you could not beat that price with a stick!

Look eveyone is going to tell you something different ..........

·
Registered
203 Posts
abpt1 said:
S&W M&P 15 OR DPMS ........THE REST are just hype ! IMO You should go to a comp shoot then you will see how many guys are using DPMS ....Turbo took down the sale deal that would have been the way to go you could not beat that price with a stick!

Look eveyone is going to tell you something different ..........
I live about 25 minutes from DPMS. I even applied for a job with them. I am all about supporting our local companies and DPMS does make some nice stuff. They are more known for their accuracy. But when you start getting down to there 14.5 rifles and under, the dependability goes down. I have heard too many stories about agencies with 10.5 inch rifles of theirs that short stroke because the gas port isn't right. Hell, I saw a brand new M16 of theirs do it at the range. The only way to fix it is to toss in a McFarland one piece gas ring. And thats really not even a fix, more of a band-aid.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AR-15SP1 said:
In my own opinion I would pick the S&W but only after they fixed their magwell design so it could accept the Mapul PMAG polymer mags and I've heard that the company agreed to fix it soon.

CMT makes the components for S&W, RRA, Stag Arms, and Colt also other large factories, they are of high quality.

Most of the firearm instructors states that the Stag Arms/ CMT are the second most reliable brand year in and year out, only second to the most reliable brand which according to them, Colt is the most reliable and Bushmaster a distant third.

I've got RRA, LMT and two Colt ARs.
that sucks because The bushmaster post ban i used to own wouldnt except plastic mags. I was hoping the mp15 would but from i just read it doesnt

·
Registered
171 Posts
workingman1976 said:
that sucks because The bushmaster post ban i used to own wouldnt except plastic mags. I was hoping the mp15 would but from i just read it doesnt
Stag Arms/ CMT makes the M&P15 for S&W but for some unkown reason S&W decided not to use the same Mil-spec magwell dimension of Stag Arms.

But like I said before maybe just wait for S&W to update their magwell design or if you're in a hurry to get an AR, just get the Stag Arms now.

You could upgrade the Stag by just adding a Troy 9" free float rails and Troy back up sights and it would be equivalent to the S&W model M&P 15T.

The new Magpul PMAG polymer mags will not fit all ARs, it will only fit Mil-spec magwells.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I dont use plastic mags so i could not tell you one way or the other but my 5/20/30 rd mags fit and drop free just fine. Also the beta mags work too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
ShipWreck said:
The new Magpul PMAG polymer mags will not fit all ARs, it will only fit Mil-spec magwells.
Interesting to know, AR-15SP
That info came directly from a Magpul representative and could be found at the AR15.com AR-15 Magazine forums.

Short story is that Magpul want to make their polymer PMAG to have a constant inside curve to make it more reliable and they have to take the few thousand of an inch of Mil-spec magwell clearance in able to do it.

The typical AR 30rd mag is straight inside the magwell then it curves outside of it, the transition between the straight and curved area is one of the weak points of the M16/ AR mags.

A PMAG could still be used on commercial type magwells but some material have to be removed either from the PMAG or the area of the magwell that is causing the interference.

It's off topic but here's a video of Magpul's PMAG versus a truck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCFXcOOb4jc

·
Registered
636 Posts
WOW I HAD NO IDEA THEY WERE THAT STRONG I am going have to get a few of them !

Great vid thanks ! :shock:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well that is just it i dont know if my mp15 is a milspec mag well or not

·
Registered
636 Posts
well that is just it i dont know if my mp15 is a milspec mag well or not
I guess you can sand a bit off them !

1 - 20 of 31 Posts