FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe a stupid question, but I was dry firing today when I noticed that I can't fire it SA. DA is fine, but when I manually cock the hammer I can pull the trigger all the way and no disengagement. Remove the slide and SA works. Is there a reason for this or is something wrong?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you found a reason why it is doing this? I'm curious...incase your not supposed to cock the hammer manually and thats what caused it (it says not to in the manual, but I thought it was just a safety precaution). I always pull the hammer back manually and am wondering if it is damaging the pistol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the spring under the rear sight was binding. I had recently replaced the sights with Ameriglo NS. after a couple mags it started working and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Have you found a reason why it is doing this? I'm curious...incase your not supposed to cock the hammer manually and thats what caused it (it says not to in the manual, but I thought it was just a safety precaution). I always pull the hammer back manually and am wondering if it is damaging the pistol.
I wonder what the reasoning behind this is too. I always thought it would be a good way to go from DA to SA if the DA was too heavy at the time. On the movies and TV it is a good way to tell someone that you are serious. Heck, I even saw someone do it with a GLOCK on TV!!! Must have been real serious if he made it click like that on a DAO GLOCK.

Maybe someone from FNH could explain if it is really harmful to the gun or if it is just could be a problem and they are covering their butts. It could also be so that you don't let it go and discharge the gun (I don't know if it is possible, I'm just thinking out loud).

·
Registered
173 Posts
Finally got my FNP-9 and looked at the manual. Everything in there is a disclaimer to throw off the liability. Like don't carry a round in the chamber (guess their guns should be thrown at a burgler). Then they put the LEO exeption; something like check with your department for procedures on this. Obviously if police are allowed to do it, then mere mortals are allowed to do it. The one for pulling the hammer back has the LEO warning too, for quietly cocking the hammer. I figure it is just a safety disclaimer in case you drop the hammer and it fires. They can then say that the manual said not to do it unless you are an officer with permission from the department.

I don't think that I shall use that method, because I don't think it would be safe. I've never been that liked the idea of decocking a revolver by pulling the trigger and gently releasing the hammer. Just doesn't seem safe, so pulling the hammer back doesn't make me feel good either.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If your DA/SA FNP won't fire in SA its another care of of the infamous sear tilt issue.

Go back a few pages and find the "Houston we have a problem" thread.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
If your DA/SA FNP won't fire in SA its another care of of the infamous sear tilt issue.
If it's so infamous why don't we hear of anyone else having the issue other than you and one other guy? Fire Control Group cracks, yes, but nothing else about sear tilt. I wonder if the newer improved replacement FCG's have eliminated this problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you guys not the third post? It was the spring under the rear sight that was binding. Fixed it. Fixed the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts