FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a narrow safe 24" or so to fit into the closet of my small apartment. It needs to be manageable by myself and the little woman but not so light duty a perp could get in to it with a screwdriver. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

tia
drew

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figure I could swing $500 or so but that Stack on looks exactly like what I had in mind and its 158 pounds.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Lowes sells a nice one - It has shelves, so U can fit many handguns - lots of gunsafes are mostly set up for rifles.

I think it was $397 for mine,

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, it's one of the few lower cost safes that has rubber on the dial - so your fingers don't slip. And, some of the cheaper safes have rattly dials - this one doesn't do that/ It's very nice.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Oh, the grey racks that hold my pistols can be bought at the Cabelas website or from Midway USA. There is a stacker kit for $15 that allows you to stack 2 of them. That's how I have 2 racks stacked.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Ewwww, Blazer ammo????? What I want to know is when is HG TV going to do a house with firearms as a theme?????? Maybe Ship could then pick up his man card again. Just maybe......

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Furyataurus said:
Ewwww, Blazer ammo????? What I want to know is when is HG TV going to do a house with firearms as a theme?????? Maybe Ship could then pick up his man card again. Just maybe......
Say what U will (most of HGTV deals with carpentry and redoing homes - not sure why everyone jokes about that :p )

As for the CCI Blazer - sorry, it's all I shoot in 9mm. I have shot 8000+ rounds of the stuff, and have never had a problem. I've had bad WWB 9mm ammo before. The Blazer is also much cleaner. I've broken down the insides of my P99 slides after 2k-3k rounds. Didn't even need to do it. The Blazer is MUCH cleaner.

At 1 time, itw as cheaper than Wal-Mart WWB. Now, its about the same, but I prefer it.

·
Banned
328 Posts
They must have really changed the blazer. I remember it smoking like black powder and it was seriously underpowered. I shot some out of a 44 magnum once and it actually felt like something was wrong - kicked like a 9mm and sound was really subdued. That was at least 10 years ago so the usual caveats apply.

As for the safe - you get what you pay for. The cheaper "safes" (usually called gun cabinets) are really only good for keeping kids out. This year I upgraded to a Liberty firesafe (a Franklin) and at the showroom they had a stackon that someone had opened with a crowbar.

http://www.libertysafe.com/

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I finally bought a safe. It was a major pain in the butt decision. No deals locally. Tried Lowes,Dicks,Costco,Walmart,Sams and various gun shops. I ended up spending $719 delivered for a Sentry GN8281 from a guy on ebay

Exterior Dimensions: 59"H x 25"W x 23 7/16"D
Exterior Dimensions (metric): 150.0cm H x 63.5cm W x 59.5cm D
Interior Dimensions: 57 7/8"H x 23 13/16"W x 18 1/16"D
Interior Dimensions (metric): 147.0cm H x 60.5cm W x 45.9cm D
Capacity: 14.4 cu. ft. na cu. in.
Capacity (metric): 408.2 cu. lit. na cu. cm
Ship Weight: 355 lb. 161 kg.

I had narrowed it down to about 5 that were all similarly made. All things being equal I calculated the cost/cubic feet and this sentry was the best bang for my buck in the cheap safe category.
Most of the safes I really liked were several hungred dollars and pounds more but they werent practical for my living arrangement at this time.

Thanks for all your input guys

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Congrats!

I'm gonna be in the market for one this summer. And this time I'm gonna pay them to deliver it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ship what is the model # of that safe? Thats the one i'm looking for and i could never find one. Thx :D

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Sheppard57 said:
Ship what is the model # of that safe? Thats the one i'm looking for and i could never find one. Thx :D
Honestly - I do not know the model # - it was discontinued at Lowes a while back, however. SO, I don't know if U can find one.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally got the safe home and in place. One very annoying issue Ill need to resolve is the rests for the barrels dont hold the guns in place at all. If a gnat farts they fall over. They are also not at a good height for military styled weapons. I now realize I have more guns then safe. Its like a can of sardines and theres no room for my handguns. Ill probably end up getting the full door rack em' holder. I was unable to install a shelf as a few of the barrels are much too long. Safe is decent for the money though. It does the job of locking them up. Next step is getting it wired up to my alarm system. Im going to put a shock sensor in the safe and some magnets on the closet door and keep it as an always armed zone

1 - 19 of 19 Posts