FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I found this thread but no fix, same exact symptom:

http:// http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fnx/18285-pin-walking-out-not-serious-problem.html

Took my FNX-45 out today for some practice with no real issues. One FTE but I could tell it was a squib just by the weak sound it made. 676 rounds through it at this point. Field stripped to give it a quick clean, and the slide caught on that loose sear pin. I am able to easily slide it back in. It has wear marks on the side where the slide rubbed it and it works its way out a little when dry firing.

The only thing I did differently was shoot wome WWB 230gr JHP that I intended to be used as a cheap SD round. They felt like they might have been loaded a little hot, which I've read all about... after I bought the stuff.

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this? Could it have been caused by a round akin to +p? Any known fixes?

I could easily just shove the pin back in anytime it walks out, but it will clearly reduce the service life of this pistol, which I'd like to see live through at least a few thousand rounds before anything needs replaced.

Thanks folks!

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I would give FN a call in the AM.

Mine hasn't walked out at all and it shouldn't. Might be an out of spec part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got off the phone with FNH USA service, and the rep went and got a lower to check it out. His did the same thing and he says that it's not intended to be a super tight fit, that the slide is what keeps it from coming out.

Not entirely sure it's a fantastic thing to know, but if they say it's normal then it's normal.

Hopefully nobody else has to ask that question now ;)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Just got off the phone with FNH USA service, and the rep went and got a lower to check it out. His did the same thing and he says that it's not intended to be a super tight fit, that the slide is what keeps it from coming out.

Not entirely sure it's a fantastic thing to know, but if they say it's normal then it's normal.

Hopefully nobody else has to ask that question now ;)
He is correct. Its a pin that supports the sears. The slide retains it on and there is no way for it to come out when the gun is together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts