FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Vendor
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guy's, I hope someone can help. My buddy just got a like NIB FN HP-SA in .40 cal., (the copy of the Browning Hi Power) The safety on it is stuck, you can't move it at all. I took it apart and it look's like the pin on the safety switch itself is to long. If I remove the right side knob, and tap the safety to the left about .075" I can work it, it's still tight though. Has anyone run into this before? I don't want to do anything to it until I know for sure whats wrong. Also, does anyone know where there is a blow up of this pistol so I can see how it all goes together? There seem's to be 2 or 3 different Hi Powers out there, so I want a copy of the FN one. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello. Here's a link to a schematic of the gun. Understand that the FN Hi Power is not a copy of the Browning Hi Power. FN manufactures the Browning Hi Power. Browning Arms imports the guns into the US under their logo, but FN manufactures them. Here's the link:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/schemzoom.asp?schem=0630zHI-POWER

The safety will not move unless the hammer is either in the half-cock or full-cock position but since you advise removing the right side lever, I assume that the slide was removed and in that case the hammer would be cocked so the safety should move.

It is nearly impossible to diagnose from a distance w/o seeing the gun but it sounds like the fit is just very, very close between the bottom of the sear and the area on the safety that engages it. Usually a very light (and I mean LIGHT stoning of the safety's engagement point, reassembly & test and more LIGHT stoning if necessary solves the problem. This is typically what I've seen when this has been a problem but I've seen it rarely. If you try this, GO SLOW, reassembly often and test before stoning more. If you remove too much, the safety doesn't block the sear adequately.

Just in case it might be of use, here is a link for diassembling the Hi Power. The gun shown here does not have the factory ambidextrous safeties common to the Mk II and Mk III, but once you remove the right-side safety lever as you already know how to do, the rest is the same:

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/bungib/PublicFolder/guns/detailstrip.html

Best and good luck.

·
Vendor
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much, this will help a great deal. I don't understand how it works, but with this info I will be able to figure it out. Strange problem, you would think FN would have tried the saftey BEFORE it left the factory. Oh well, still a nice gun. Thank you very much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts